Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manual tranny question

Hello guys,

I am not sure if this topic belongs here but here goes...

I am a relatively new stick shift driver, and I had a question for more experienced people out there. When ever I put it on reverse it makes a real ugly screaching noise.

These are the steps that I take to go on reverse:
    full stop
    full clutch
    reverse

Sounds simple enough?? but why does it do that noise? Is this normal? I have a 96 3.8L
    ------------

Also do you have a problem with water getting into the car when it is parked in a steep hill (rear up). Happened once and learned my lesson but I want to know if it happens to everyone else or if there is something wrong with my seals.

Thanks!
    Merlin

[ November 04, 2002: Message edited by: Merlin ]</p>
    Lenore<br />Red 1996 Camaro 3.8L M5<br />Flowmaster 80 Series, Pro-5.0 Shifter

Well, u cant shift into reverse while the car is rolling forward.

Also, i think our 5-spd tranny dont have a reverse synchro.

Me, i have to shift into 5th first then put it into reverse or else there'd be a nasty grinding noise. I heard its common for our cars. :mad:
    E-mail: ibjanky@yahoo.com<br />AOL IM: IBJanky

Comment

ok, thanks IBJanky... makes me feel better that I am doing everything allright.

Now about that water? [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Try shifting into 5th first, then into reverse. My reverse gear grinds sometimes, so I just got into the habit of shifting into 5th before going into reverse.
        2001 Onyx Black Camaro M5-Totalled<br />2005 Ford F150 XLT 5.4L<br /><br />\"To make peace, prepare for war.\"

Comment

Shifting into fifth then reverse is what most of us do.

I also can't shift into first if I'm going over 10mph to engine brake.
          1996 Silver Camaro, Y87, M5, cammed..<br />N/A Best Time: 14.012 @ 98.59<br />195 rwhp / 233 ft-lbs b/f heads/cam<br />Check out my site <a href=\"http://silver3800.cz28.com/\" target=\"_blank\">http://silver3800.cz28.com/</a>

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by jonny985:
            Shifting into fifth then reverse is what most of us do.

I also can't shift into first if I'm going over 10mph to engine brake.
            <hr></blockquote>

Neither can i
            [img]graemlins/thumbsdown.gif[/img]
            E-mail: ibjanky@yahoo.com<br />AOL IM: IBJanky

Comment

Well I will try the 5th and then reverse suggestion. I am having way too much fun with manual :D I am NEVER going back to Auto...

thanks all

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Merlin:
                Well I will try the 5th and then reverse suggestion. I am having way too much fun with manual :D I am NEVER going back to Auto...

thanks all
                <hr></blockquote>

Yes I concur, 5th to reverse... Just pop it in fifth for a few and back down in reverse [img]smile.gif[/img] Since rev is not a syncro gear you must have the tranny stopped to slide her into rev. Hence the clunk and whine when you reverse...
                2002 5-spd NBM Camaro
                Details: www.1lev6.com

Comment

Say my '73 VW does the very same thing unless I go into 2nd then to reverse. Then everything is fine.
                  &gt;&gt;OH 1 FIREBIRD SunsetOrangeMetalic<br />Not at All Stock

Comment

I always go to first cuz mine does the same thing.
                    94 3.4 Camaro<br />white w/black stripes<br />rk sport groung effects<br />Dynaflow super turbo muffler<br />dual 3\" tips<br />light weight clutch and flywheel<br />slp intake sensor<br />K&N filter<br />intakes in the mail!

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by gt1953:
                      Say my '73 VW does the very same thing unless I go into 2nd then to reverse. Then everything is fine.<hr></blockquote>

man those things are just plain wierd to get into reverse.. push over push down pull back.. (or whatever the sequence is) gotta say though the first time I tried it I did so without ever grinding the gears..
                      -Brad
                      98 Firebird - gone from mod mode to keep it running and useable mode.
                      2000 V-Star Custom 1100
                      If all else fails use a bigger hammer!
                      :rock:

Comment

Yes definetly 5th then to reverse w should solve your problem
                        Factory:Camaro 5 speed, Color Pewter, w/ t-tops and Y87 package. <br />Engine: K&N filter w/ Whisper Lid, FRA, Borla adjustable cat-back exhaust. Hurst w/ Short Stick<br />Interior:Oil temp. and Air/Fuel ratio gauges, System.<br />Exterior: Black outs front and back, 18 in. Lenso rims w/ Kumho Supra 275/35ZR18 tires, also limo tint on sides and back.<br />173.2rwhp-----200.5tq

Comment

Jesus, how many of these topics are we going to have? This is sad.

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by StockV6Cam2:
                            Jesus, how many of these topics are we going to have? This is sad.<hr></blockquote>

Thats what Im saying this should be in some kind of FAQ or something it seems like every 2 weeks soembody asks this. No that they shouldent ask, just should be easy to get this info.

Cp

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                              Hello everyone!
                              by Andy H
                              Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                              2 weeks ago
                            • 3.4 slow to go
                              hey there strangers!
                              by 3.4 slow to go
                              been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                              3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X