OBD II TROUBLE CODE P1870

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bluecmaro96:
    im back :( now i find out i drove it to much while the 1870 code was up and i killed my torque converter. sux i had to go and order a yank converter today. im going to the track thursday and see what my car will run. i knew something was up after adding all the mods i added and it seemed my car picked up quicker stock lol. hey will the converter being messed up stop the car from shifting into 4th gear? after i put the new converter in what if the code comes up again? what else could it be? hope i dont have to get tranny rebuilt, 1400.00 is alot of money that i dont have :D<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

yes. failure of TCC to engage will result in no OD. if the converter does not fix problem you could have a band slipping on a drum inside trans. the dealership can look at rpm, torque loss thr tc, and trans slippage on tech2. i would let them diag it before just throwing a part at it.
    ASE Master, L1, X1, C1. Instructor in automotive systems. 99 3800 4L60E with a few mods and a greatful dead sticker on the back window.

Comment

update...

...crossing fingers... still no SES light :D

Comment

you do not want to change a tc! getting the top bell housing bolt out is a bit** finally after getting everything together my buddy went to turn a screw in the starter and broke the starter selanoid off :( man my luck sux. i hope monday my car is fine. i know when i had the scu2000 from jet on and had the governer off the car wouldnt shift into 4th. i thought this was cuz of the scu. well i hope the scu didnt hurt the converter and stop it from going into fourth. i hope it didnt mess my converter up.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fart Barker:
          update...

...crossing fingers... still no SES light :D
          <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

my MFn SES light is on again

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Comment

trust me try to get some friends to do this for you. a tranny shop will rape your a**. at first i had my valve body fixed by getting a spring from a 700 pump. then i had to get my converter replaced. after 5 days everything is running great. the starter bolts were so tight that one of the bolts on the selenoid broke, fixed it with jb weld, for now. well after runnin down the road we fell a clunking and it feels my car is gonna fall apart, the ds was slapping off the exhaust. figured i needed a new ds. found out some a** messed with my car. because a week ago someone loostened the lugnuts on my dads jimmy. well one lug nut on my car was tight the rest just came off by turnin with fingers. well now everything is awesome. the car shifts great with the yank converter. i know g tech is off but according to g tech i shaved .6 off my quarter :eek: im going to track this week. i had a guy tell me the light will come back on because you cant fix a valve body and i will need a new one, i sure hope hes wrong. but finally after a month of messing around my car is running better than ever. i chewwed up a 97 4.6 mustang tonight. he had flowmasters and different gearing. he was surprised when he seen a 3.8 kicked his a** :D

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fart Barker:

my MFn SES light is on again

:mad: :mad: :mad:
              <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

same code???
              ASE Master, L1, X1, C1. Instructor in automotive systems. 99 3800 4L60E with a few mods and a greatful dead sticker on the back window.

Comment

same code...

tranny shop is in the process of getting the warranty company to approve an overhaul

Comment

my ses light came back o. man was i pi**ed, well my buddy took it to work, turns out i have a bad cat converter and one of the 02 sensors are bad. i was gonna buy one but called the dealer and they said the cat had a 8 year 80000 mile warranty. man a bad cat makes the car run HOT almost in the red :(
                  having probs launching with the yank converter, i spun halfway through the 60 ft, resulting in a 2.8 60 ft. then i let off gas at the sign that tells 1/4 time and speed, found out later that the sensor is way past that. should have known when other guy kept flooring it :D man i messed up tonight.

Comment

Somebody please kill me, I'm starting to like this Taurus I rented. :(

Comment

i know what your going through man. its a bit** but if you can, buy a yank converter since your stock one needs replaced anyway. some are 600-800.00 but i just got a 2800 stall for 350.00 and my car has great acceleration, i cant get any traction though, my 60 ft was 2.8 and 2.9 :( honestly spinning almost the whole 60 ft.

Comment

i'm not necessarily sure if it is the converter or not.... at the dealership with the tech 2 (not many other scan tools can get this info from pcm) they can tell where the slippage is occuring... like if it is in TC, between TC and output shaft, etc. there are like 3 or 4 trans shaft speed sensors to get this info...
                        this is one of those cases where i'd pay an hour or 2 of diag time to find out exactly what the problem is and where it is occuring. talk to the tech that did the diag if possible and see what he/she says. it is possible to replace a faulty shift solenoid or pressure control solenoid yourself, if one of these is the culprit...
                        good luck dude and keep us posted...

Comment

update...

transmission was overhauled and they're putting a new torque converter in now
                          hopefully will be getting her back tomorrow [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

ha ha i knew it was the converter, and im not even an ase certified technician [img]tongue.gif[/img] dude no affense but you probably would have saved alot of money buying a high stall converter and getting a few friends to put it in. unless the warranty is covering it. glad to hear you finally will have the car running right

Comment

ha ha i knew it was the converter, and im not even an ase certified technician [img]tongue.gif[/img] dude no affense but you probably would have saved alot of money buying a high stall converter and getting a few friends to put it in. unless the warranty is covering it. glad to hear you finally will have the car running right<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

better to diagnose accurately before you start throwing parts at a problem. my old woodshop teacher in 8th grade (his name was bill elliot, believe it or not) always used to say, "measure twice, cut once."
                              the slippage could have been coming from the forward clutch drum band, for all we know. a one-way clutch could have been shot. if all the code says is trans component slipping, it is comparing input speed (rpm) to output speed. no generic scan tool (only the tech 2) has the ability to read trans diag info, which would more accurately pinpoint the problem.
                              maybe it was the TC but it'd be real $h!tty to spend all that cash on a TC only to reassemble and still have the light staring you in the face, mocking you....
                              measure twice, cut once...

Comment

ha ha i knew it was the converter, and im not even an ase certified technician [img]tongue.gif[/img] dude no affense but you probably would have saved alot of money buying a high stall converter and getting a few friends to put it in. unless the warranty is covering it. glad to hear you finally will have the car running right<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

actually I only paid a $25 deductible [img]smile.gif[/img]
                                not bad for $1500 worth of work

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X