Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OBD II TROUBLE CODE P1870

P1870 - Transmission Component Slipping

My SES light came on again so I took it to Jiffy Lube and paid $15 so they could pull the codes. This is what came up. They reset so the light is not on now but I'm sure it'll come on again soon.

The printout I got has a bunch of other stuff on it too but this was the only trouble code.

Is my tranny going bad or what?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fart Barker:
    P1870 - Transmission Component Slipping

My SES light came on again so I took it to Jiffy Lube and paid $15 so they could pull the codes. This is what came up. They reset so the light is not on now but I'm sure it'll come on again soon.

The printout I got has a bunch of other stuff on it too but this was the only trouble code.

Is my tranny going bad or what?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

the pcm will set a p1870 when the difference between the trans input shaft speed and output shaft speed exceeds a specified limit for a specified amount of time (about 7 seconds). i believe that it takes failures on three consecutive drive cycles for this code to set... is your TCC engaging? may just be intermittent.... what shape is your ATF in??? smell burnt? changed ATF and filter lately???
    ASE Master, L1, X1, C1. Instructor in automotive systems. 99 3800 4L60E with a few mods and a greatful dead sticker on the back window.

Comment

i had this exact problem a few weeks ago. the transmission guy put a spring from a 700 pump in and it is good now and the shifts arent crappy. the one tranny guy wanted to bore out my valve body but the other said not to do that. well its been a week and now my ses light is back on so ill find out monday whats wrong. cant seem to get rid of problems :(

Comment

The ATF has never been changed. I was going to do it yesterday afternoon but when they pulled that code I figured that when I take it in they'll have to take the pan off anyway.

I went to www.alldata.com and there is a TSB for this code and my Camaro.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by strange_trp:
          is your TCC engaging?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What's that?

[ August 26, 2001: Message edited by: Fart Barker ]

Comment

TCC is Torque Converter Clutch, or lockup. you can kind of feel when it is engaged in 3rd and OD. when this code is set the TCC is not supposed to engage.
            ASE Master, L1, X1, C1. Instructor in automotive systems. 99 3800 4L60E with a few mods and a greatful dead sticker on the back window.

Comment

TCC is Torque Converter Clutch, or lockup. you can kind of feel when it is engaged in 3rd and OD. when this code is set the TCC is not supposed to engage.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

aha

I went ahead and bought some fluid and a trans kit (all for less than $20 - Jiffy Lube was gonna charge me $80 :eek: ) and will get off my lazy butt today and change the fluid and filter. I'd hate to take it in and have my extended warranty voided because my fluid was all burned up.

If the light comes on again I will definitely take it in for repair.

Comment

smell the fluid... smell like burned popcorn???

Comment

Well I changed the fluid. It didn't smell burned but it sure did look nasty. Is it supposed to come out brown? The magnet was covered in a gooey gel-like substance too.

I was only able to get out about 4 quarts. Is that normal?

Comment

Well I changed the fluid. It didn't smell burned but it sure did look nasty. Is it supposed to come out brown? The magnet was covered in a gooey gel-like substance too.

I was only able to get out about 4 quarts. Is that normal?
                    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
                    yep 4 qts is normal. that gooey stuff is supposed to be there, just traps debris from recirculating. being brown, it was time for a change... pop a new filter in there zip the pan up, put 3.5 qts in it, start it, drive it get the trans warm, park it, engine still running level surface, check level of fluid, add if needed. DO NOT OVERFILL!!!
                    enjoy the rest of your afternoon!

Comment

Comment

strange_trp's Camaro<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey, your car looks just like mine except I've got a stupid Texas license plate on the front.

Comment

Hey, your car looks just like mine except I've got a stupid Texas license plate on the front.
                          <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

gotta love this nc "freedom" [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

im back :( now i find out i drove it to much while the 1870 code was up and i killed my torque converter. sux i had to go and order a yank converter today. im going to the track thursday and see what my car will run. i knew something was up after adding all the mods i added and it seemed my car picked up quicker stock lol. hey will the converter being messed up stop the car from shifting into 4th gear? after i put the new converter in what if the code comes up again? what else could it be? hope i dont have to get tranny rebuilt, 1400.00 is alot of money that i dont have :D

Comment

my SES light has NOT come back on yet since it was reset and changing the fluid and filter

man I hope it stays that way
                              hopefully it was just the old fluid

[ August 28, 2001: Message edited by: Fart Barker ]

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                                Hello everyone!
                                by Andy H
                                Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                                3 weeks ago
                              • 3.4 slow to go
                                hey there strangers!
                                by 3.4 slow to go
                                been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                                3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X