Transmission crossmember differences - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Transmission crossmember differences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission crossmember differences

I've searched everywhere. looks like 93-97 v6 manuals and autos used the same crossmembers. What about 98-02, I think autos and manuals are different but are they the same as v8's? Spent over three hours searching now!

Re: Transmission crossmember differences

Originally posted by Kenneth View Post
    I've searched everywhere. looks like 93-97 v6 manuals and autos used the same crossmembers. What about 98-02, I think autos and manuals are different but are they the same as v8's? Spent over three hours searching now!
    The t-5 crossmember is different than the t-56 crossmember. There is one mounting hole for the t-5 trans mount where there are three holes for the t-56 trans mount. The location of the trans mount holes are slightly different. The main difference is where the crossmember bolts to the car. The passenger side lines up with the v6 mounting position, but the driver's side mounting holes on the body are a few inches forward of where the v8 brace comes in.

I mounted my t-56 crossmember by bolting on the passenger side, and completely cut off the drivers side leg of the brace. I then bolted on the drivers side to the car and tacked some plate between the two pieces of the crossmember. Then I removed the crossmember and put it on the work bench to finish welding it up. It actually worked pretty well, and everything bolts right up.

Comment

Is the v8 auto trans mount the same as the v6 auto in a 98?

Comment

The V8 auto is a direct bolt-in replacement for the V6 T5 on a 96. No modification necessary. Then installed a 1LE trans mount - also a direct bolt-in.
        Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

Yeah, but in 98-02 what was different about the v6 manual and auto cross members?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X