Looking for a clutch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Looking for a clutch

Well I guess it comes down to if you want more clutch grab. On the downshifts it will mean the clutch will lock sooner and transmit either engine braking or acceleration quicker to the transmission though this is harder on the transmission and rear end. If racing is your goal I'd go with a stage 2 that has more grab.
    96 White M5 Camaro. Manual everything. Magnaflow cat, dynomax dual outlet axle back. Swapped to a disc rear with 3.42s and a torsen differential, kyb gr2 rear shocks, moog rear endlinks.

Comment

Do you just really want to have the transmission apart two separate times?

The slave will wear out over time, especially since it gets bathed in clutch dust and all that stuff. It will wear out along with the clutch, and if you put in a fresh clutch or even one that is stronger, the slave cylinder might not be up to the task, or even won't engage the clutch fully.

Comment

In the FWIW column; I replaced my clutch with a Perfection brand clutch from Advance - this is the same company that markets Zoom clutches (not sure what the relationship is) - and after a short time (I did the proper break-in) it started to chatter on take-off after the car had been driven for a while. I didn't resurface the flywheel, so that may be the issue, or I could have an oil or clutch fluid leak, or it could just be that the clutch is a POS and doesn't grip as well after it gets hot. The previous clutch didn't have the problem, so my guess is either flywheel or POS clutch. I am wishing I had gone with a CF or Spec clutch at this point.

On the slave cylinder; it just makes good sense to replace this while the trans is out. They are relatively cheap, and if your clutch is ready for replacement then the slave can't be that far behind.

Comment

Alright. 12 hours of work later, it all went relatively smooth. Few snags that took a long time, mostly getting the trans in and out, and a few bolts. New clutch feels excellent, seems to be breaking in nicely, but I only drove like 5 miles. My only concern is the pedal, an how soft the thing is. Do I need to bleed the clutch now, or will it firm up over time?

Comment

You'll need to bleed the clutch if the pedal doesn't feel right.
            08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
            96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Kinda strange, it doesn't grind or anything, just feels really soft. I don't even know where the bleeder screw is on the trans? I'm assuming the one that isn't the hydraulic line on the slave?

Comment

I always bleed it underneath, I think thats where you'll have to do it. Have someone pump the clutch pedal while you have it open underneath.
                08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Have what open? Is it the one right above the hydraulic line?

Comment

Don't remember but its underneath.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                      Hello everyone!
                      by Andy H
                      Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                      3 weeks ago
                    • 3.4 slow to go
                      hey there strangers!
                      by 3.4 slow to go
                      been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                      4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X