technical shift kit install questions - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

technical shift kit install questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• technical shift kit install questions

I'd like to get my transgo HD-2 kit installed this week, so as of right now I have the tranny in the garage and flipped upside down.

couple of questions for those experienced with this.

Lets start with the dumb question...this picture here...the rectangle thingy...what is that? is that the filter/housing? How does that come off? (I havent tried taking it off yet, so dont shoot me if its easy)

and could I have done any damage to it in taking off my trans pan, and placing the transmission right side up on the floor with that exposed?

Attached Files

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
    1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Re: technical shift kit install questions

ok, now the more technical questions....Here is the guide scanned so you guys can refer to the guide in helping me answer my questions...

Attached Files
    Last edited by LETZRIDE; 03-11-2012, 09:51 PM.

Comment

Comment

The only thing I can answer is the top picture. Thats the filter, and it comes off very easily, just pull it out. There is also a magnet on the pan, fit into this little square, clean it off too.
        Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

ok, lets get down to buisness:

Page 1:

step 1...is this my servo? Or would otherwise be the corvette servo that I have coming?

it says install everything without blue o-ring...(no idea why it says see page 5??) so only if it is too tight am I removing the one shim and than installing WITH the blue o-ring?? or Am I checking it, if it is ok and not too tight, remove and reinstall with the blue o-ring?...im confused.

Step 2...am I going to see both sets of those numbers on there? which ones should I go by? and what happens if I have piston 554? because on page 2 it says if I have piston 553 or 554 use the red spring? I thought I shouldnt have 554?

Page 2:

Do I really need to grind the manual valve? How can I accurately grind 1/16 to 3/32 chamfer in there accurately without having access to a machine shop at this exact time?

Page 3:

Does that maze like thing seperate from the transmission?

In step 2, what is the best thing to use to clean the bore with?

When would you need the oversize valve?

Page 4:

Is step one the area that the conver bolts to at the front of the tranny? Im having a hard time pictureing this?

onto the separator plate:

the 1-2 shift part says .082 short, .093 full race and Hi stall converter....What does that mean? what is short? ...and if you go .082 there, should you be going .082 rather than .093 everywhere else?

next: the spot where it says "if plate has this hole drill .093...so if the plate doesn't have this hole am I still drilling it?

does anyone have a picture of this mentioned EPC screen?

Page 5:

If trans is apart...how far apart? it's on my floor...can I get to whatever this reverse input piston is? Where is it?

I think that sums up my questions at this point.

Thanks in advance guys.

Comment

I had the same deal. I can answer some questions but I tried doing it while connected to the engine and could not do it and as my DD couldn't take it out so took it to local shop, $120 and 4 hours later it was done.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Comment

ok, lets get down to buisness:

Page 1:

step 1...is this my servo? Or would otherwise be the corvette servo that I have coming?

Use the servo you plan on running.

it says install everything without blue o-ring...(no idea why it says see page 5??) so only if it is too tight am I removing the one shim and than installing WITH the blue o-ring?? or Am I checking it, if it is ok and not too tight, remove and reinstall with the blue o-ring?...im confused.

The blue O ring is to seal the cover. You trial fit with out the O ring and check the wiggle in the band. When your happy and ready for the finial assembly you install the blue o ring.

Step 2...am I going to see both sets of those numbers on there? which ones should I go by? and what happens if I have piston 554? because on page 2 it says if I have piston 553 or 554 use the red spring? I thought I shouldnt have 554?

The servo will only have one set of numbers on it.

Page 2:

Do I really need to grind the manual valve? How can I accurately grind 1/16 to 3/32 chamfer in there accurately without having access to a machine shop at this exact time?

It is easy with a bench grinder.

Page 3:

Does that maze like thing separate from the transmission?

Yes. The valve body is half the other half is made into the case.

In step 2, what is the best thing to use to clean the bore with?

Brakekleen.

When would you need the oversize valve?

If the valve in the HD2 is too small for the bore.

Page 4:

Is step one the area that the conver bolts to at the front of the tranny? Im having a hard time pictureing this?

No. It is in the side of the pump buy you can see it in your pic at the top left corner of the pan.

onto the separator plate:

the 1-2 shift part says .082 short, .093 full race and Hi stall converter....What does that mean? what is short? ...and if you go .082 there, should you be going .082 rather than .093 everywhere else?

You have a high stall so it's .093. Everywhere else spec's .093, except the 2-3 drill that .101 because of your stall.

next: the spot where it says "if plate has this hole drill .093...so if the plate doesn't have this hole am I still drilling it?

If no hole you do not drill anything there.

does anyone have a picture of this mentioned EPC screen?

It is just a small screen that clips into the plate. You will understand when you see it.

Page 5:

If trans is apart...how far apart? it's on my floor...can I get to whatever this reverse input piston is? Where is it?

You need to pull the pump and disassemble the trans for this step.

I think that sums up my questions at this point.

Thanks in advance guys.
              sigpic

Comment

sweet thanks...I posted this on ls1tech to...some of the guys there are saying the 3200 stall isn't really a "hi-stall" and that I should stick with drilling .082 vs the .093 for the 1-2 shift, and stick to .093 vs the .101 for the 2-3 shift?

Do you know what the difference is as far as shift characteristics and such between the two sizes? like what will one sized hole cause the tranny to do vs the other size?

and age old debate...1 or 2 spacers for that accumulator? Im thinking 2, but I dont know what their definition of "very firm" is?

Comment

Look at your scans of you running your car with slicks. If I remember correctly your converter looks up around 3800 not 3200 like it is advertised to. I have mine drilled with the larger holes, 1-2 shifts hard, 2-3 I would like harder. My converter looks up around 3700 on motor.
                  sigpic

Comment

You can always take some of the hardness out with HPT if you think it shifts too hard.
                    sigpic

Comment

Do 2 spacers for the accumulator, I did and absolutely love it.

Comment

Originally posted by dgreet77 View Post
                        Do 2 spacers for the accumulator, I did and absolutely love it.
                        how hard are you hitting 2nd and 3rd?

Comment

2 questions...on page 2, step 3 there seems to be a solenoid attached tohe actuator valve...we don't have that solenoid piece right??? Cause I don't...

2nd question...in the kit is a clutch spring kit...did you guys install that? It looks like you really have to tear into the tranny to put it in no??

Comment

Yes, My trans had that solenoid. 97's may be different.

Yes, I used the clutch pack springs, but I was rebuilding my trans when I installed the HD-2.
                            sigpic

Comment

****...ok, how did you get the boost valve out on page 4? I'm losing my mind, its hanging up on the casing and I'm about 5 seconds away from grabbing the dremel and grinding the side down...seriously, the snap rings off, but I can't get it out of the hole, I've tried spinning it and everything...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X