building the stock tranny

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: building the stock tranny

Learn to rebuild the 4L60E yourself. I think someone makes a video if your not good at reading the books and learning. It's not that hard. You will need to buy some specialty tools. A freshen up will cost you less than $200 if you don't need to replace everything each year.
    sigpic

Comment

i'll probably pick up one of the service books and see what I can learn from it...if you know the video link pass it over.

I went to move my car into the garage today as I've finally had some time to clean it up a bit...found a tiny puddle (maybe 4 quarters in size) of tranny fluid under the car...I *think* it was from the tailshaft area...who wants to take a guess on what might be the cause?...current tranny has a grind to it, low rumble very similar to that of hitting rumble strips on the highway (the bzzz, bzzz, bzzzz type sound)...fluid on the dipstick looks clean with no debris either...

My guess is a cracked tailshaft? Eitherway I want this tranny out for my own piece of mind...

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
      1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Low & reverse roller clutch.
        sigpic

Comment

Hmmm, what makes you think that?

Aside from the grinding noise, the car drives perfectly normal, shifts don't slip (I'm not going to bring it WOT just to be safe) but I do move it around a little bit, and I did drive it for 30miles or so since the noise.

Trans fluids still clean to.

From what I've read if it was that clutch, I would have slipping gears

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
          1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

A roller clutch is not a paper clutch pack like your thinking. It is a one way mechanical sprag. It either works or it don't. It's a common part to fail. Spinning the tires and letting it hook while still under power can break it.
            sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X