question on gear ratio 3.43

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question on gear ratio 3.43

a guy here in pcola has a rear end up for sale with a posi and 3.42 gears in it. i currently have 3.23 gears in my car with a t5 tranny. how much will my mpg city/highway suffer if i install this rear end and what will my top speed in second gear be? i would really like to know before i go out and get this rear end.
    Last edited by madforce10; 06-11-2011, 12:01 AM.

Re: question on gear ratio 3.43

doubt you'll see much of a change in gas mileage at all...you probably won't feel much of a difference at all.

http://www.f-body.org/gears/

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
    1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

I first went from 3.23 open to 3.42 LSD and it was night and day difference, also had a ALM. driveshaft installed as well same time.
      08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
      96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

your talking pcola florida?? My hometown is Daphne.

My car came factory with the 3.42s, and I'll be putting a 5spd behind it when I get back to the states.
        Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

yup im talking about pcola fl. are you on southernfbody? im gonna run autocross on the 26th over in grand bay. debating on taking my mx6 or the camaro for this one. i think the camaro would do better but my parents want me to run the mx6.

Comment

At sunny south? I have been over there a couple times. I was on southernfbody, didnt seem to active, i still snoop around sometimes over there. The mx6 seems like it would be more nimble on that little course.
            Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

not really it has a hard time rotating around the cones. it has good turn in but comming out of the corner it really has trouble. if im running it im going to be on the r comps so ill be able to adjust the tire pressures a bit more then with street tires.

Comment

Ever tried left foot braking with that MX6? Might help with some of your issues in leaving the corners.

As for the gear change, it shouldn't be a noticeable change in gas mileage from 3.23s. Acceleration should pick up a bit though.
                '99 Camaro
                '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
                '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

ok thanks. i never got the hang of left foot braking since i started out in a 4wd audi quattro now the mx6 and the camaro. i may try it to see what it does but i would rather set up the car so i wouldnt have to. im still working on my heal and toe since the mx6 used 2nd and 3rd gear for almost everything and im going to be using 3rd more now since i put the stock turbo back on. im going to try some toe out to see if that will help at all for the turn in.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X