hard shift

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hard shift

I recently got a problem with the shifting in my car. Shifts fine when i first start driving it. But once the engine is warmed and after alot of stop and go or awhile of driving the car it starts to shift hard from a stop and only through the first change in gears after that it shifts through the rest of them fine. Its an A4

Re: hard shift

Does it try to pull when you are stopping? Say you are sitting at a light, does it want to move?

Comment

Be sure to check the trans level. Check where the electrical goes into the trans and see if it's leaking. You can notice it from the passenger side. Sometimes, the plug will go bad.

Comment

Could be the TCC valve, I had the same problem, but it was only evident after about 20 mins of highway driving

Comment

I was having a similar issue. I changed my shift solenoids and the shifts are all pretty smooth now. I found a pair on ebay shipped for like 25 bucks. One of the easiest repairs I've ever had to do.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

I have/had this problem. And it's leaking, but the hardshift just went away. I've just been being nice to the tranny everywhere I go.
            Wait, Is that a V6 or V8?
            1990 Chevrolet C-K 1500 series 4.3L .. 5spd
            1994 JDM Euno Roadster 1.8L 5spd Bolt Ons.. etc
            2000 Camaro 3.8L Auto Bolt Ons..etc

Comment

Theres no leaks i changed the filter in the pan last year, got a new gasket and sealed her up well. It doesnt try to pull from a stop. I was driving on the highway that day also although i didnt keep track to see if it only does it on the highway. My biggest question other than what the problem is, is if not fixing it soon can lead to other problems? ill start troubleshooting with your suggestions. thanks alot guys. I like having a gf that doesnt know anything about cars as she said to me the diagnoses of the problem was "your tires are probably over heated because you havent rotated them"?? lol didnt say anything to be nice.

Comment

Its the TCC I'm 99.8% sure. There is an GM TCC update. What is going on is there is a valve, the TCC valve which is a piston inside of a bore. The piston inside is what causes the torque converter to "lock up" once you are in the desired gear. If fluid starts seeping past the piston in the bore then the converter doesn't ever reach lock up. At that point the transmission sees that, and increases the line pressure to try to get the converter to lock up. The way to really know if this is your problem is this: when your driving can you hear the engine revs changing up and down while the converter reaches lock up and then unlocks again. If you have the chance, go to a local parts store and have them check for codes, your gonna be looking for p1870, a component slip problem.
                Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

Flaming, how does that affect his first shift from a stop? Doesn't the TCC only try to lock up in 4th gear?

TEAM C6V6

Comment

I know when I first installed my A4 the wire that goes to the TCC lock up wasn't in all the way and when i would come up to a stop the car would want to die unless I put it in Neutral. The Torque convertor was trying to lock up but had no function since the PCM plug was not in all the way, but the TCC will lock up in 1st through 3rd I believe, and forth is just for cruise, I think it is, don't qoute me on it because on the dyno I tried to get it to lock up in 3rd.
                    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

i know this won't help, but i had the same problem with my m5. i pulled the trans, replaced the pilot bearing and slave. shifts like gold now
                      WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

Originally posted by Blizzard242 View Post
                        Flaming, how does that affect his first shift from a stop? Doesn't the TCC only try to lock up in 4th gear?
                        yes, but the line pressure still stays raised even after the car slows down, and reaches a stop. So it's kinda like there is a shift kit installed, the line pressure is raised, giving it a hard 1-2 shift.
                        Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

Originally posted by flamingchicken View Post
                          yes, but the line pressure still stays raised even after the car slows down, and reaches a stop. So it's kinda like there is a shift kit installed, the line pressure is raised, giving it a hard 1-2 shift.
                          Ah I see, that makes sense.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Originally posted by Blizzard242 View Post

No, It locks up in 3rd and 4th with GM's settings. You can make it lock up in any gear except reverse with HP tuners. A mechanical problem can make it try to lock all the time.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bigbrian442 View Post
                              No, It locks up in 3rd and 4th with GM's settings. You can make it lock up in any gear except reverse with HP tuners. A mechanical problem can make it try to lock all the time.
                              the TCC valve is a mechanical part.
                              Team NoVa

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X