lost an axle today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: lost an axle today

The 8.8 still has C clips unless you buy the eliminator. Strange makes eliminators for drag racing and road racing.
    sigpic

Comment

that kinda sucks...Im weary about using eliminators as I hear they are not the greatest for street use.

I have to see whats happening with this rear end though...because apparently it is heavily modified from your average 8.8, you can only use custom moser axles in it when it's done, so I gotta figure this all out.

Anyone heard of yukon posi's? are they any good?

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
      1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

The light trucks get the same 7.5 ring gear as us.

I will post on Camaro Country for you.

Comment

if you've got the money then get a 9" and be done with it. You'll never have to worry about anything breaking back there ever again

1999 Firebird Y87/W68

Comment

im gunna go with the 8.8...probably going to contact the guy monday to start fabricating it. We've got guys over here running 9.71 on these rears with no breakages yet...thats good enough for me...parts are pretty cheap and a dime a dozen to.

Comment

Originally posted by LETZRIDE View Post
              im gunna go with the 8.8...probably going to contact the guy monday to start fabricating it. We've got guys over here running 9.71 on these rears with no breakages yet...thats good enough for me...parts are pretty cheap and a dime a dozen to.
              Whats the price complete?
              08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
              96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

I'll tell you when it's done...apparently we probably wont be able to use our drum brakes, so I need to source some LS1 disc brakes...so far its looking like 1800-2000 everything said and done, but Im hoping to reduce that further. But I should mention thats with all brand new parts...you can do it for cheaper if you can source the posi and gears used, but like on ebay Im finding new remanufactured yukon posi's for like $224, and gear sets for $130 and up...so I question whether its even worth it to gamble with used parts.

the good thing is these rears are in high demand for the jeep guys to, so lots of aftermarket for them.

I'm actually wondering right now if I should go with 4.11 or 4.56 gears lol...

Comment

What RPM are you turning on the highway with the 3.90's?

Comment

at 130/140 she's turning 3200....2500 I think at around 100....4.10s I believe would put me at about 3500 at 130/140. I dont think that will be too much of a difference.

I was considering 3.73s, but I feel as if Im just going to be slower. I was using the gear calculator to compare 3 sets of gears 3.73, 4.10, and 4.56.

According ot the calculator if I shift at 6000 my gears will run like this:

3.73's

1st will redline at 67km/h (42mph)
                    2nd will be 126km/h (79mph)
                    3rd will be 204km/h (128mph)
                    4th will be 291km/h (182mph)

with 4.11's

1st will be 60km/h (38mph)
                    2nd... 113km/h (71mph)
                    3rd... 185km/h (116mph
                    4th... 264km/h (165mph)

4.56's (which I think would really wake the car up, but kill my wallet)

1st...54km/h (34mph)
                    2nd...102km/h (64mph)
                    3rd... 166km/h (104mph)
                    4th...238km/h (149mph)

Comment

Looks like 4.11's would be best for N/A.
                      08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                      96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

You can also compensate some with tire size. Going with a 4.56 you'd need a 28 inch tall tire minimum.
                        <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.fullthrottlev6.com</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.chitownracing.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.chitownracing.com</a>

Comment

Ya thats what I was reading...I dont believe my vette rims are that big though 275/40R18

I think Im just going to look for a 4.11

My family has a lexus IS350 and the final gear is 4.08, and I LOVE the way that thing pulls on the highway...like I'm faster than that car, but I actually think it might take me on the highway...that thing just feels like it pulls with no remorse, I would love to get that feeling from the camaro to compliment the first 2 gears.

I think 4.11's are gunna be close to my previous 3.90's anyways...like I cant see it being a HUGE difference...I dont even know if it would be noticeable or not.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X