lost an axle today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lost an axle today

Just got off the highway and apparently I lost and ate a C-clip up and the axle began making its way out...car lost drivability forward (wouldnt move when I pressed the gas so I just coasted to the side of the road)

What the hell would cause me to loose a C-clip like that??

Is there a beefier aftermarket version I can buy so that this doesnt happen again? or where can I get new C-clips?

Car as the EATON posi unit in it btw...

This scares the sh*t out of me...Im luck she didnt give on the highway, I might not be here right now...I literally just came off the offramp maybe 40 feet back...

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
    1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Re: lost an axle today

that definitely sounds very scary. glad things didnt hit the fan
    Wait, Is that a V6 or V8?
    1990 Chevrolet C-K 1500 series 4.3L .. 5spd
    1994 JDM Euno Roadster 1.8L 5spd Bolt Ons.. etc
    2000 Camaro 3.8L Auto Bolt Ons..etc

Comment

That sucks you can try a locker.
      08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
      96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

a locker as in the unit?...I'd like to stick with my posi unit because it is still a DD...I know there are C-clip eliminators, but you have to remachine the housings and press in bearings apparently...not interested in that

Comment

I didn't know it was your DD , I thought you bought another F body as a DD. For beefier 9 bolt or 12 bolt.
          08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
          96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

no no, its my dd...I bought another one and sold it because I needed the money lol....

Comment

C clip eliminator is the way to go. Usually the cross pin breaks and lets the C clip fall out.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LETZRIDE View Post
                a locker as in the unit?...I'd like to stick with my posi unit because it is still a DD...I know there are C-clip eliminators, but you have to remachine the housings and press in bearings apparently...not interested in that

The wheel bearings press on to the axles with a C clip eliminator.
                sigpic

Comment

hmmm...the cross pin is scuffed up on the flat surfaces not the round area...it almost looks like the damn thing spun in there, but thats impossible because the screw pin was still intact and in place...I wonder if it just sheered and came apart on me...either way, I think for the time being I am going to put a normal C clip back in, and I will have to look into this elminator kit and install it at a later date when I can afford downtime...

Comment

Uhmm.. Damn!! That is scary. Glad you're okay. I didn't even realize that could happen.
                    Is there anything that will stop the axle from just flying completely out?
                    I can just imagine driving down the highway, and one of your rear wheels rolls past you.... Surprise!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ScottS4050 View Post
                      Uhmm.. Damn!! That is scary. Glad you're okay. I didn't even realize that could happen.
                      I can just imagine driving down the highway, and one of your rear wheels rolls past you.... Surprise!!!
                      Thats why a lot of dragracers eliminate the "C" clips.

Its more prone to happen on hard launches.

Comment

Originally posted by ScottS4050 View Post
                        Nope...all that holds our axles on is a 3mm piece of metal that looks like a C...I remember thinking about this when I changed the posi out, and was like...this is stupid...and this is exactly why.

Comment

Originally posted by LETZRIDE View Post
                          Nope...all that holds our axles on is a 3mm piece of metal that looks like a C...I remember thinking about this when I changed the posi out, and was like...this is stupid...and this is exactly why.
                          i have to say though, millions and millions of cars have used them since the 60's and its extremely rare for them to fail.

you are only the second person that i have heard it happen to on a first hand basis

Comment

I've seen more than a few break at the dragstrip. It's not fun to see a wheel, tire and axle bouncing across the track at you.
                            <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.fullthrottlev6.com</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.chitownracing.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.chitownracing.com</a>

Comment

I would not use c-clip eliminators on a car that sees street or autocross/road course use. Most sets are ball bearings and are not built to handle the side loads of street driving or cornering.
                              Drivetrain Moderator - "There are no stupid questions, only stupid people!"

2001 Pewter Firebird Y87, M5
                              Intake, exhaust, just about every suspension part, alum flywheel & ds, Turn One p/s pump and cooler

Go Sabres!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X