Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Broken Bolt

Originally posted by DAS BOOT View Post
    I don't care what you say, you are changing the rotational mass....

If its going to through anything off balance that is a decision for someone beyond me would make.

I have rebuilt recip engines worth more then everyone car in this thread put together. And these engines could handl a bit more abuse. Would never consider drilling out material on something as critical as the primary rotating mass.

It will probably be fine, and I am just being anal, but I would take a few steps before I just drilled and helicoiled it. It would be my last resort.

He drilled a pilot, that is the hard part.

i wouldnt go to that extreme... drilling and putting a helicoil in a crank isnt going to make any noticeable difference while driving it.

i cant see the strength of the crank being in jeopardy in a car with 215 ftlb of torque, and a redline of 5500rpm

and to your other comment about race cars getting balanced, thats a bit different, they get engines balanced so they can make more power, not because they are worried about a small vibration because the crank weight is off.

also, back in the day people would use welds to balance cranks in their garage

Comment

You know whats really funny? Missing teeth on a ring gear, which is farther from the center point of the crankshaft, thus more leverage, has never ever caused vibration, and thats alot more weight than a helicoil. There is nothing wrong with helicoil, i try not to use it, but if thats the best solution then so be it. Its just as strong and it changes nothing in rotational balance. THINK- at most these engines see what, 7k? that's really not that fast at all when considering spinning mass, and if you think a possible half gram is going to throw an entire engine off balance than your not thinking very hard. A weak cylinder tosses the crank balance, not the weight of a helicoil. Isn't one of the jobs of the flywheel or torque converter to absorb small vibrations? Cmon people..

EDIT:

If i was you insaneBOT- I would use the heat, if you can concentrate the heat well enough, don't be afraid to get the crank red hot. Heat has worked wonders for me, if used properly. If heating it doesn't work right away, keep it hot, spray it with penetrating oil, let it cool, repeat. It'll smoke like crazy, but thats one of the best ways to get the bolt to slowly work and soak.
      Last edited by Bandit127; 12-25-2010, 09:33 PM.

Comment

I already took the broken bolt off but now I'm changing out the rear main seal I was installing the new one but a piece of rubber from the seal tore so I'm going to pick another one up tomorrow

Comment

Congrats! Must've felt pretty good when the bolt threaded out out.

Comment

I drilled it out last night and I was uneasy with drilling the bolt with 1/4 drill bit after I drilled it out completely I set the drill in reverse and the the thread of the bolt came out.

Here's the thread of the bolt
            Last edited by insaneABOT; 12-25-2010, 10:19 PM.

Comment

I'm really glad that worked out for you! :banana:
              Daily: '02 Black Yukon Denali
              Toy: '06 Torrid Red GTO
              Gone: Powerdyned '02 Pewter Camaro
              Gone: '07 Charcoal Yamaha R6
              Gone: Ex-wife, lol

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X