Changing u-joints needed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing u-joints needed?

I just got an aluminum friveshaft. Should I change the u-joints just to be safe? Can I do it myself or what? Thanks
    auto, aluminum driveshaft, Fast Toys Ram Air, !air silencer, smoothed lid, Pacesetter shorties, 2 1/2" exhaust, !cat

New Time:
    15.11@91.14
    Team 3M Mafia

New Times coming soon

Re: Changing u-joints needed?

Maintainance before modding

Comment

You might as well change them out as cheap as they are. If there is an old u-joint in the new ds you will probably see what looks like a couple little plastic pins that will need to be heated to remove. You will probably need a torch, and point it away from you when heating as the plastic will come puking out of there.

Comment

so i melt the pins then what
        auto, aluminum driveshaft, Fast Toys Ram Air, !air silencer, smoothed lid, Pacesetter shorties, 2 1/2" exhaust, !cat

New Time:
        15.11@91.14
        Team 3M Mafia

New Times coming soon

Comment

Originally posted by crazytrain65 View Post
          so i melt the pins then what
          get a socket that will fit the cap on the u joint and start bashing it with a hammer

Comment

Originally posted by cam98aro View Post
            get a socket that will fit the cap on the u joint and start bashing it with a hammer
            Bad idea. Use a press or a vise. There are special tools made for universal joints. They look like a giant c-clamp with a hole on the fixed end.
            -<i>Travis</i><br /><b>99 Trans Am, Pewter, A4</b> Forged, stalled, and cammed<br /><b>85 Buick Regal WH1 T-Type</b> It\'d be cool if it ran...<br /><b>94 Camaro 3.4, Teal, M5</b> The daily beater

Comment

I drilled out the plastic pins. Then used a vise.

Dont forget to insall the retainer rings.

If the u joints arent bad (they prolly arent) id use them till they get loose. If and when they start to wear out you can just jack the car up and undo 4 bolts. Then theres your driveshaft again. if this were a part tucked away between your floorboard and tranmission i would go ahead and swap em. But since its so easy just use em, tear em up then replace.

Past my bedtime, Sorry or any Grammer mistakes

Comment

Originally posted by chevy3504me View Post
                I drilled out the plastic pins. Then used a vise.

Dont forget to insall the retainer rings.

If the u joints arent bad (they prolly arent) id use them till they get loose. If and when they start to wear out you can just jack the car up and undo 4 bolts. Then theres your driveshaft again. if this were a part tucked away between your floorboard and tranmission i would go ahead and swap em. But since its so easy just use em, tear em up then replace.

Past my bedtime, Sorry or any Grammer mistakes
                thanks for the help!

New Time:
                15.11@91.14
                Team 3M Mafia

New Times coming soon

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X