Vibration on freeway!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Vibration on freeway!

I have done all the things listed after I started getting the vibration, in an effort to fix it myself with exception to the differential and gears. I have a set of spare wheels with worn tires, I will try those briefly to see if it goes away, but I think I have tried that in the past. The transmission shop said it could be a blown carrier bearing, but I took it back there 4 more times, and they just wouldnt take the axle apart because I couldn't afford any more of their labor. This issue arised after I changed the gears. I seldom drive my car, the 2000 miles came on over a period of a year.

Comment

Maybe alingment, tie end rods, bushings or bad tires.
      08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
      96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by acesmike View Post
        I have done all the things listed after I started getting the vibration, in an effort to fix it myself with exception to the differential and gears. I have a set of spare wheels with worn tires, I will try those briefly to see if it goes away, but I think I have tried that in the past. The transmission shop said it could be a blown carrier bearing, but I took it back there 4 more times, and they just wouldnt take the axle apart because I couldn't afford any more of their labor. This issue arised after I changed the gears. I seldom drive my car, the 2000 miles came on over a period of a year.

Check the pinion bearing and pinion nut. Sounds like the nut is getting lose. Jack it up and try to shake the rear of the drive shaft any play there at all is bad.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bigbrian442 View Post
          Check the pinion bearing and pinion nut. Sounds like the nut is getting lose. Jack it up and try to shake the rear of the drive shaft any play there at all is bad.
          driveshafts are suppose to have some play

Comment

[QUOTE=cam98aro;946088]driveshafts are suppose to have some play[/QUOTE

What world do you live in? Any play on the pinion end of the drive shaft is going to cause a vibration!
            sigpic

Comment

my guess is something to do with the driveshafts connection to the pinion..if it's only happening at high speeds, it may have just strong enough connection to keep it together, it possibly could even be vibrating at low speeds but so small it's unnoticable..u say it's felt in the shifter so to me, suspension problems are thrown out..why would a bad shock or spring cause a shifter to vibrate? maybe the shop who put the tranny in or gears didn't tighten something all the way down...either way, if somethings is vibrating that badly in your diff or tranny, somethings getting f'd up

Comment

Are you running a solid driveshaft or the standard 2 piece shaft?

Comment

thanks for the help everyone. i will check the pinion nut when i get a chance, that something i haven't checked. I have a 1 piece driveshaft.

Comment

hmm...something almost like this is attacking my 97 camaro. starts at 50 or 55mph and goes upto 70mph, feel it in the steering wheel, and the whole car is stock...any idea's?

Comment

a loose wheel can cause that but generally it would start before 50, mostly noise though

Comment

I checked the pinion bolt, it was at 140 ft lbs. Can't be that.

Comment

Sounds like alighnment or bad tires. My wife had a set of bad tires from Pepboys once that would shimy all over the place at 50+, did balance alighnment everything until on the lift, we ran it on and aafter about 30 mph the front tires were wobbling, the tires themselves were bad, didn't have any of our records, so went to Discount and got 4 new ones for $450 and was perfect again ran it up to 90MPH and was smooth.
                          08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                          96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Looks like we got it figured out, the wheels i had were occasionaly rubbing the inside of the wheel well. When we had it up on the jacks the wheels were a little difficult to turn, as if the e-brake was left halfway on. Thanks for the help, I switched back to my old rims and stuck my 17/18 stagger on ebay.

Comment

Hey Fondle, I would like to get all 4 of your stock springs off you if they are still in good condition. Shoot me an email acesmike@hotmail.com so wecan get that Rollin. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by acesmike View Post
                                Looks like we got it figured out, the wheels i had were occasionaly rubbing the inside of the wheel well.
                                I had to remove my bump stops, and massage my inner fenderwells with a sledgehammer to get my 18" rears to work. Im sure you were knocking your wheel weights off the inside of the rears as soon as you pulled out of the tire shop.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X