Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vibration on freeway!

Hello,
    I haven't been on this forum in years, so hello all. :-)

I need desperate help with my 01 camaro, I have put nearly five thousand dollars into it trying to fix this issue, and now I am at the point where I have no choice but to sell it as is, even though it only has 95k on it.

I have a severe vibration on the freeway. Gets started around 50 mph and can't go over 65mph because it is so intense. The only thing I can think of is the shocks, as I have the eibach sportine springs with monroe garbage tha isnt made for lowered cars. Could this be it? Here is what I have done so far:

Transmission mount
    Wheel balance
    Driveshaft balance and u-joints
    Transmission rebuilt by gforce
    Wheel bearings
    rotors and brake pads
    New clutch and master cyclinder
    auburn diff and motive gears (about 2000 miles on them)
    LCA relocating mounts
    New thick swaybars
    polygraphite bushings

all in trying to fix this issue.
    New shock sets are quite expensive, and if it doesnt fix the issue then I cant return them. The car has been switched to non-op like 3 times now, and everytime I have to resmog it, and I have until november before the reg. is pulled again because I am not insuring it while it sits on the driveway.

Please Help!!
    If you have a set of stock springs you can sell me for cheap (if I need them), please dont be shy! I tossed mine away thinking I would never need them again.:twak:
    -Michael
    Last edited by acesmike; 10-20-2009, 04:11 PM.

Re: Vibration on freeway!

make sure your tires arent directional, i didnt notice this one time and i had horrible vibration, but i swapped the wheels around so they were facing the right direction and it was fixed

i dont think its your shocks or springs, but if you need them i have both

Comment

I dont no if this has any relevance to your problem but, my van did the same thing when I put a new tranny in and it turned out the drive shaft was now a little bit too short, so i had one custom made and now its nice and smooth again. good luck!

Comment

Thanks for the prompt responses,
        I have hankook directionals, they are goin the correct way, the tranny and driveshaft were recently installed by a great local tranny shop so im sure thats all in-line and proper length.

Fondle, how much for the stock springs? I think I can get by with just the rears, I think the rears would be the problem area.

Comment

ill give them to you if you pay shipping, i really doubt thats your problem though, it sounds exactly what happened when i rotated my tires before noticing they were directional, just double check, have you got an alignment recently?

Comment

I forgot to mention the vibration is coming somewhere from the driveline, Its not felt in the steering wheel. It sounds like its coming from the back, and I can feel it in the shifter.
            I havent done an alignment in a long time, that can cause horrible vibration? i have 17"s in the front and 18"s in the rear, so I cant rotate the tires. I checked and they are correct. Do you have paypal so I can send you the $? I will take the front and rears. Anybody else think it could or could not be the shocks? I know my rear suspension is horrible.
            Last edited by acesmike; 10-20-2009, 03:30 PM.

Comment

maybe a tie rod is going bad

Comment

i do have paypal, but i wont be back home till friday to ship them, also if it were suspension related, i would bet it would be the shocks if anything, not the springs

where can you feel the vibration?

Comment

Its all good, we will talk friday about that then. The vibration is felt in the shifter, and the sound is loud and coming from the rear.

Comment

maybe you have a bad tranny mount bushing or something, my friend with a 98 z28 had a bad mount and his car was really shaky

what kind of sound comes from the rear?

Comment

I have also replaced the tranny mount, the sound is hard to explain, the only way I can explain it is a really lound wobble, kinda inbetween the plasma gun from HALO and the transportation effect in Star Trek. Wow that was nerdy of me.

Comment

ahaha nice, im playing halo in my dorm right now, that seems weird, the only think i could think of is a bent rim or bent axle

Comment

are the tires balanced?

do any of the tires have bulges in them (indicating broken radials)?

edit: nevermind on the balance (i just read it up top).
                          Last edited by checkbit; 10-20-2009, 04:35 PM. Reason: i need to pay more attention

Comment

i would say try switching tires front to back i know it will be odd but try and see if the problem goes to the front if not then swap them back and check your rear end. Also how much have you replaced since the vibration? did the vibrations start after the rear end gear change. and did you change gear ratios in your tranny or your rear end?

Comment

Originally posted by acesmike View Post

auburn diff and motive gears (about 2000 miles on them)

polygraphite bushings
                              Did you have the problem before you changed the gears?

The poly graphite bushings will make any drive train noise more intense.
                              sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X