Is it cheaper to go Turbo over Motorswap? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it cheaper to go Turbo over Motorswap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it cheaper to go Turbo over Motorswap?

I know after 300RWHP you're going to have to start replacing drive train stuff and building it stronger, plus that doesn't include suspension. With an LS1 motor swap you have to pretty much do that anyway but you get left with plenty more potential, so is it cheaper to go with a turbo or a LSX motor swap? I wanted to know because I might just turbo my motor and call it a day, won't have to worry about electrical problems with the swap, no replacing the transmission or rearend... - my stock rear is a Y87 and from a Z28...

If I put a turbo heads/cam into my car, will I gain power from it while I'm running N/A? or lose power because the cam seems less agressive...
    1997 Camaro RS W/T-Tops<br />All Stock / 200 HP

Re: Is it cheaper to go Turbo over Motorswap?

Originally posted by Need4Camaro View Post
    If I put a turbo heads/cam into my car, will I gain power from it while I'm running N/A? or lose power because the cam seems less agressive...
    If you lower the compression you will make less power. Depending on how much boost you are wanting to run will determine if and how much the compression should be lowered.

Comment

i dont see anywhere where he mentioned compression,

depends what your power goals are, turbo'ing your car will be cheaper than buying just an lsx engine, depending on where you get it

Comment

[QUOTE=Fondle;936475]i dont see anywhere where he mentioned compression,

Getting heads meant for turbocharged applications may lower compression so telling him that lowering the compression would cause him to lose power under N/A circumstances is legitimate.

Comment

[QUOTE=J_Flizzle;936480]
          Originally posted by Fondle View Post
          i dont see anywhere where he mentioned compression,

Getting heads meant for turbocharged applications may lower compression so telling him that lowering the compression would cause him to lose power under N/A circumstances is legitimate.
          how do you lower your compression buy P&P heads???? That is a new one on me. lol. head gaskets, pistons, etc lower compression not p&p heads
          http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

I could have stayed more on topic here. All of the aftermarket turbo cams I have seen generate more lift than a stock cam. The reason why I mentioned compression ratio is because I have no idea how much boost the op has in mind. Once you start seeing double digits it is a good idea to build the bottom end to handle it.

Comment

sell your car and buy v8. cheapest route. and ls1 motorswap, you'd swap in a t-56.

Comment

depending on his age, buying a v8 could double his insurance, then its not cheaper at all

Comment

ive been in the same situation for a few months, im 19, my insurance is wayy too $$$ and im lost on what to do next/ how to get more power from my camaro
                  Robby
                  2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 V6

|JET Chip|Flowmaster American Thunder|K&N Intake|BMR STB|Spohn Rear Sway Bar|

http://speed-bros.com/
                  sigpic

Comment

For me it was cheaper to go turbo since I already had my engine built up in 03'. But if blows up I already added a 02' LS1 on my HP tuners lic. so I can swap in a LS1 if it goes out. And have enough for a LS1 built, 9" rear and a Performbuilt tranny in the futrue so I will have a 400 WRHP Camaro either way but I think the 3.8 with the turbo will do the trick with 10-12LBS of boost and can up it to 18LBS max if need be. Just need to match the turbo to your engine, RPM and HP goals. If I didn't have a built engine I would just do the LS1 swap if you have a mechanic friend, I know through my Dad, a engine builder, tranny builder, and rear end builder all spealize in the one area so they know what their doing and can do it fast. Plus they only charge $25 hour to do the work.
                    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X