anyone running the ZZP GT1 Cam without other mods? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

anyone running the ZZP GT1 Cam without other mods?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone running the ZZP GT1 Cam without other mods?

I just picked up a 97 Firebird with a 3.8 v6 that has a bad lifter. While I am in there I am thinking of replacing the cam with a ZZperformance GT1 cam. I like this cam because I dont have to replace valve springs or retainers or make any other modifications. I have read just about every cam related threaded on this board but cant seem to find any report of anyone running this cam on an otherwise stock engine. This is a daily driver and the only other modification I might do is a Cat back exhaust.

If anyone is running this cam with the stock valve springs and retainers please let me know what you think of it and what type of performance gains you found. Any noticable change in fuel milage.

Thanks,
    Scott

Re: anyone running the ZZP GT1 Cam without other mods?

I'm running the GT2 on a stock valvetrain. My car has full boltons, but internally is stock besides the cam and removing the balance shaft gear. I get 26-28MPG on the highway cruising 75-80MPH with a 3.73 rear end; city I get 18-22 depending on how much I beat on the car. With a stock rear end (probably 3.08's or 3.23's) you'll get better mileage. Kristen on here has that cam, but I'm not too sure what other internal mods she has done; maybe she'll chime in here and give ya some more info.
    ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
    A few things

Only Member of Team Hooker?!?

Comment

Thanks for the info. How was the performance gain with the GT2?
      ZZP recommended I stick with the GT1 because it is a daily driver and Im looking for low end over high RPM power.

Scott

Comment

Car put down 235 to the wheels the other day on a Mustang dyno (more accurate #, usually lower then a DynoJet). Still could do some tweaking, but it runs great the way it is. I DD mine, along with delivering pizzas in it; during the school year I put 100-150 miles a day on it, atleast!
        ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
        A few things

Comment

what other mods do you have to get 235wheel?

Comment

Pacesetter Headers, 3" catback exhaust with Hooker Aerochamber muffler and no cat, Moroso LT1 cold air intake, aluminum driveshaft, ported intake manifolds (done at home), !balance shaft gear, GT2 cam, and all topped off with a custom tune. I think that's about it. I do have some other mods that wouldn't affect my HP numbers such as a short throw shifter and 3.73 LSD rear. 235rwhp should be just shy of 295 at the flywheel, so I've increased my power almost 50% over stock :). I think I could probably pick up a few more with abit more fine tuning, but I haven't taken the time to do that yet; once I put spray on it, I'm hoping for 300+ at the wheels :D
            ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
            A few things

Comment

Thanks for the info. Sounds like a real nice ride!!!
              Scott

Comment

I ordered the GT1 at 5PM last night and ZZP shipped it alreeady!!!! With any luck I wil lhave it al ldone by Sunday. FYI I have a friend with access to a dyno that verified 20HP gain from dumping the balance shaft.
                Scott

Comment

Headers would be a good idea. Those stock log manifolds suck.

Comment

I wouldn't think 20hp from dumping the balance shaft, Intense and ZZP do it all the time and have never posted any #'s that high for removing the gear. I have a double roller and 130LB springs ready to go incase I need to upgrade if I have problems with my turbo. I run a VS cam with RK Sport headers and built engine, with the turbo looking for 350wrhp to 400 wrhp with 10-12 PSI.
                    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

I thought the same thing, 20 HP is a big gain. But this was confirmed by a guy with w v6 Camaro that is now running 12's. He ran the car on a very well known dyno when he worked for the shop and confirmed 20 Hp on a stock engine. Believe it or not (I believe it)
                      Scott

Comment

Whats his mods with his Camaro? What year? Running 12's. Again I would think the fastest 3.8 shops like ZZP and Intense would post this info if it was such a big gain esp. on a stock engine. This almost sounds like Z38Camaro's zero drivetrain loss tranny, without any specs or sheets to back it up its hard to believe, I would like to since I have a double roller and 130LB springs I can install if I need to.
                        Last edited by ssms5411; 07-18-2009, 03:44 AM.
                        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

I will try to get more info on his car. I know it is NA, 5 speed with 4:11 gears. 12.90 at 106 mph.

Scott

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
                            New Owner!
                            by LETZRIDE
                            I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                            5 days ago
                          • ssms5411
                            Little work today
                            by ssms5411
                            Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
                            3 weeks ago
                          • LETZRIDE
                            Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                            by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                            Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                            By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                            Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                            02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X