Can's fix missfiring problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can's fix missfiring problem

i've been a member of the site for awhile now, but haven't really needed to post until now...

before i start, here is some important info: i have a 1998 Pontiac Firebird with a 3800 V6 with 130,xxx miles on it, only mod so far is that i cut two holes in the bottom of the stock air box in order for her to breathe a lot better...

it started missfiring and throwing a code a few weeks ago. i went to advanced auto parts by my house and had them scan it. it was throwing a cylinder 5 missfiring code, i'll have to post the code when i get home cause i left the little printout they gave me at my house. anyways...the guy said giving it a tune-up should fix it right up. well... i just gave it an oil change right before this problem started and i changed the plugs and wires last night, which took way too long than it should have, started around 8pm and didn't finish till after 1 am (never done it before, i told you i was a nube)... and guess what? it didn't fix it, now the missfiring is worse than it was before and it kept flashing the SES light at me when i drove it home last night...

so... any ideas on what else might be wrong with her? anyone had this kind of missfiring problem with their 3800 V6's? any feedback would be greatly apprecited!

Thanks,

Chris J.
    St. Louis, Missouri

Re: Can's fix missfiring problem

first you need to get the code scanned again, just to make sure you are getting the same code

make sure all of the wires are on the plugs tight and not touching the exhaust

do you have a DMM? you can test the resistance of the 5/2 coil pack, it may be bad

Comment

Re: Can's fix missfiring problem

sounds like you got the firing order swapped around there...

also a "single" cylinder misfire usually means "wire, plug or ceased piston". Sure there are other factors, but just throwing them out there. If you have replaced all your spark plugs wires and plugs, and now it is running worse, it sounds like you may have gotten your firing order mixed up.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
      Working...
      X