3.8 Series II to a 3.8 Series III swap - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3.8 Series II to a 3.8 Series III swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3.8 Series II to a 3.8 Series III swap

I have a Firebird that the engine "gave up the ghost" a while back and would like to know if anyone has any sites that I could look at or information on how expensive and difficult it would be to retrofit my F-body with the Series III engine? I would like to put a newer used engine in there without having to pay the price of a 3800 crate motor.

Any info would be helpful

Thanks!

Re: 3.8 Series II to a 3.8 Series III swap

they are pretty much the same exact engine
    the only difference i can think of is that the series III engine has stronger rods

the SC version had slightly better flowing heads, electronic throttle body, and updated blower
    Last edited by Meatyshells; 05-25-2009, 01:05 PM.

Abbott long tubes,homemade true duals,slp ram air,whisper lid,eibach springs,kyb shocks,BMR subframe connectors, BMR LCA reloc brackets,BMR LCAs. T-top/manual converted

Comment

Originally posted by Meatyshells View Post
      they are pretty much the same exact engine
      excedt 1 has 260hp one only has 200:cry:

Comment

Originally posted by venom3300 View Post
        excedt 1 has 260hp one only has 200:cry:
        you are comparing the supercharged version vs a non supercharged version.. IIRC the series II has 240hp supercharged

Comment

Originally posted by cam98aro View Post
          you are comparing the supercharged version vs a non supercharged version.. IIRC the series II has 240hp supercharged
          i stand corrected :o

Comment

I do know that they have the same block since they are the same base motor but am I going to need a new PCM, fuel railing, fuel pump, adapter kits of any kind, etc . . . ? Will it fit to the 4L60E tranny? Will I have to modify where the engine mounting bolts are? Does anyone know if this has already been discussed somewhere else on the site? Im kind of looking for some more concrete "Whys" and "How tos."

Thanks guys!

Comment

noone is gonna spend time on explaining the "whys" and "how tos" cause its pointless. the block is the same. the heads flow slightly better with ever so slightly bigger valves.

as for stronger connecting rods, ours apparently do the job really well. there are tons of people that are running boost and nitrous with no bottom end problems.
              Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

Go to a junk yard and pick up any used GM 3.8 Series II for about $500 and swap it. Ask Meatyshells, he did it with a Buick motor :tup:

Just need to swap the short block and use the top end/accessories from your car.
                Last edited by Shodown; 05-25-2009, 10:03 PM.
                sigpic
                1997 Camaro RS A4
                2006 Chevy Colorado
                2003 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6-R

Comment

^ Thats true he found a 03' Buick for $500 with like 10,000 miles on it, he said it ran better than his old motor, I think because the heads flow better and being a 03, he should have L32 rods in it I believe, unless it was only SC versions. he didn't even need a cam in there and he said it felt better, of course he has long tube headers though. I think it ran pretty well when I road in it.
                  08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                  96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

actually had only 3k miles on it :D
                    and no the series 3 engines were introduced in 04, my engine being an 03 was the last year of the series 2

Abbott long tubes,homemade true duals,slp ram air,whisper lid,eibach springs,kyb shocks,BMR subframe connectors, BMR LCA reloc brackets,BMR LCAs. T-top/manual converted

Comment

hummm... so will series 3 heads fit our cars?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
                        New Owner!
                        by LETZRIDE
                        I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                        4 days ago
                      • ssms5411
                        Little work today
                        by ssms5411
                        Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
                        2 weeks ago
                      • LETZRIDE
                        Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                        by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                        Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                        By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                        Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                        02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X