breaking in new engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• breaking in new engine

I just got my engine at transmission rebuilt. Both have 0 miles. How do i break them in ?

Re: breaking in new engine

what is it, a 3.4 or 3.8?

correct me if i am wrong, but the 3.4 has hydraulic flat tappet lifters, which means that the camshaft MUST have lube on it, and must be started and brought to 2000-2500 rpm for 15 minutes, then follow the below directions

if it is a 3.8 just drive it really easy for the first 500-1000 miles, change the oil after the first 500 or so and check for metal flake

the only real break in the 3.8 needs is so the piston rings can seat in, which is done by having a load put on the engine, through normal driving and engine braking

Comment

its a 2000 3.8

do I check for metal flake in the oil , should I run in through a strainer ?

Comment

I got mine rebuilt last year. All you need to do when breaking it in do not run it hard. Give it a chance to lube itself up real good. I waited a couple months before I slammed the throttle.
        Leonard
        www.fquick.com/96V6Junkie
        sigpic

Comment

I heard to keep the car under 2000 rpm's and don't go over 55 mph . I heard i have to do this for the first two thousand miles.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaysan View Post
            I heard to keep the car under 2000 rpm's and don't go over 55 mph . I heard i have to do this for the first two thousand miles.
            no, thats not true at all.

you are suppose to try and vary your engine rpm and speed of the car while driving, what that does is cause a bit of engine braking which will put a load on the engine and seat the rings

just go easy on the engine, the first few thousand miles is when a lot of wear happens on the engine, you dont want to beat on it or you will cause a ton more wear and ruin the engine quicker

Comment

i think thats for like aircooled engines, like harley's and stuff.
              Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

Originally posted by cam98aro View Post
                what is it, a 3.4 or 3.8?

if it is a 3.8 just drive it really easy for the first 500-1000 miles, change the oil after the first 500 or so and check for metal flake

the only real break in the 3.8 needs is so the piston rings can seat in, which is done by having a load put on the engine, through normal driving and engine braking
                How do I check for metal flake? Do i drive the car at like 1/4 throttle

Comment

How do I check for metal flake? Do i drive the car at like 1/4 throttle
                  when you change your oil, you will see metal flakes in there, or it will look very metallic

no, you dont have to drive at 1/4 throttle, just pretend you are driving normally, dont floor the car when the light turns green, just ease it up to speed

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X