my car wont run

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my car wont run

I finished my engine yesterday and started it up and it ran fine, sounded real healthy i just had a couple more things to finish up for it to be driveable. Well today i finished those things, put a new water pump on it, figured out a ground problem, just like minor things. i go to start it up and it does this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r--sk2UCy1o

im lost. the only reason it revs when it does is cause i have my foot on the gas.

any ideas?
    Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Re: my car wont run

never mind. anyone wanna buy my car?
    Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

I would check your TB to see if you have coolant leaking into it, pull a plug and see if there is coolant smell on it. My car had a TB coolant leak, drove to work fine then went to leave it cranked and started a few times then died, then it sounded like what yours sounded like in the video. My TB spacer(the plastic ones) was ate away and started leaking into the TB. Sucked @ss I had to get it towed since it was midnight and I couldn't get to work on it in the parking lot, but found out later when I took off my intake hose and coolant ran out. Just something to keep in mind, could be electrical or something. Good luck.
      08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
      96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

I have $10 and a Fry's coupon for .50 off on tissues. LOL
        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

i pulled the dipstick...someone put milk in my engine...
          Team NoVa

Comment

Damm, sorry to hear that, head gasket or intake gasket?

Comment

i think its head. my dad decided to come over and bug me and tell me everything i was doing wrong...including properly torquing the head. he said the book was wrong.
              Team NoVa

Comment

Originally posted by flamingchicken View Post
                i think its head. my dad decided to come over and bug me and tell me everything i was doing wrong...including properly torquing the head. he said the book was wrong.
                what did he tell you to do?

most books do not give you the right thing to do which is a 3 step torquing process

they usually just give a diagram of the bolt pattern and tell you to torque them in that sequence

Comment

the book said torque it to a certain lb ft of torque, then an extra 120*, he told me to just do like 35, the 55, the 75...and i dont think thats tight enough.
                  Team NoVa

Comment

Theres a nice writup on FullthrottleV6 on doing TQ'ing down the heads. I know it is with MLS gaskets I think.

Comment

i didnt use mls...is that bad? i just did a compression test, only on cyl number 2. i pulled the fuel pump relay and it fired and ran for about 3 seconds, and the compression on got up to about 90 psi...thats with new pistons and rings, in a freshly rebuilt engine.
                      Team NoVa

Comment

Originally posted by flamingchicken View Post
                        the book said torque it to a certain lb ft of torque, then an extra 120*, he told me to just do like 35, the 55, the 75...and i dont think thats tight enough.
                        he is somewhat right

do the three step torque like he said till you get to the specified torque the book says, then do the extra 120* thing

Comment

did you have the TB open?

Comment

i had the pedal to the floor.
                            Team NoVa

Comment

90psi is WAY low. Should be ~170psi, maybe a little higher.

When you do the compression test, relieve the fuel pressure and
                              remove the fuel pump relay and injector fuse. Stick something in
                              the tb to hold the blade open and crank it for a few seconds. Do
                              this on every cylinder and see what the results are.

You didn't reuse the old head bolts did you?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X