Rocker Install Gone Wrong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rocker Install Gone Wrong

So I did a very dumb thing while installing some used 1.7 pro mags. When I first put them in I left the aluminum shaft the original rockers sit on in the car...it looked liked it belonged (idiot). I cranked the car over a few times, but it obviously wouldn't start.

Tore everything back apart and reinstalled the rockers correctly. Start the car and it runs but the rockers make noise and the engine seems to shake/vibrate way too much. Tore everything apart again made sure everything was tight, put it back together and the rockers are still noisey and it just doesn't seem to be running right.

Thoughts opinions...other than I'm a dumbass.
    Old Car = 12.679 @ 106.5 on 150 dry shot.
    New Car = 2010 3.6l 304hp Camaro

Re: Rocker Install Gone Wrong

is it noisy like a tick? or metal slapping? or what.. also what torque specs did you use for the rockers?
    2001 Camaro 3.8 A4
    1991 3000GT VR4
    2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS

Comment

yea did you torque them down right?

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
      1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Did you check to see if you bent any pushrods?
        sigpic

Comment

arn't the pro mags stud mount? installed between 1/4 and 3/4 turn?
          Daily: '02 Black Yukon Denali
          Toy: '06 Torrid Red GTO
          Gone: Powerdyned '02 Pewter Camaro
          Gone: '07 Charcoal Yamaha R6
          Gone: Ex-wife, lol

Comment

Theres a vid of how to install the Pro Mags on ZZP. I would double check to make sure there not installed upside down so the rocker has no travel when mounted on the stud. Because they only go on one way.
            08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
            96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
              Theres a vid of how to install the Pro Mags on ZZP. I would double check to make sure there not installed upside down so the rocker has no travel when mounted on the stud. Because they only go on one way.
              what he said, make sure the metal sleeve that slide inside the rocker mount is put in the right way.

Abbott long tubes,homemade true duals,slp ram air,whisper lid,eibach springs,kyb shocks,BMR subframe connectors, BMR LCA reloc brackets,BMR LCAs. T-top/manual converted

Comment

Originally posted by Meatyshells View Post
                what he said, make sure the metal sleeve that slide inside the rocker mount is put in the right way.
                There was someone else that posted who installed all or some of them backwards, I wanna say he bent some pushrods or messed up the rockers but my memory suck @ss so don't know exactly , it could also mess up the lifters since the pushrod had the pressure of the rocker compressing it, could put a nice dent in it. I would go back through everything and check to see if any metal was chipped or looks like it rubbed and check the pushrods to see if their bent. Would be hard to check the lifters, but if you get i back all together right and it is making noise that would be a concern.
                08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
                  I couldn't find this...have a link?

Comment

Looks like ZZP got rid of their Promags and the vid.

Comment

The stud mount adjustable type rockers will not just bolt onto a 3800. A custom guideplate must be used, and even then you will have issues. What part# are your rockers? Have your heads or block been decked? Do you have aftermarket pushrods, valve springs or head gaskets?

Comment

Pro mags bolt on to the rocker stud, no guide plates are used, thats the point of stud mounted rocker arm and the price tag.

Comment

I think I just under torqued them. I got the guys at zzp to send me that video and it says to torque to 26 ft lbs, I definitely didn't do that much. I ordered some new pushrods and will work on it later this week. Thanks for all the tips.

Comment

I tried to make a set of harland sharpe stud mount rockers work on my heads. I emailed ZZ and they told me they had tried the same thing several years ago, and had a custom pushrod guideplate that would make things easier, but told me I was still going to have problems with them. I now have a set of yella terras.

Comment

Originally posted by xcdarrel17 View Post
                              I think I just under torqued them. I got the guys at zzp to send me that video and it says to torque to 26 ft lbs, I definitely didn't do that much. I ordered some new pushrods and will work on it later this week. Thanks for all the tips.
                              Good to hear, the Comp reusable rocker bolts are 23 ftlbs, but if they told you 26ftlbs on there bolts then I would go with that. Glad you got to see the video.
                              Last edited by ssms5411; 04-29-2009, 01:47 AM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X