HP Tuners question??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HP Tuners question??

Anybody good with hpt that can help me with this tune, its the stock tune and i seem to be getting quite a bit of KR under load and wanted to know if it was tune/sensor related or if it was mechanical??any help would be great.
    http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23305

Re: HP Tuners question??

Looks to be false KR to me since it not much at all, maybe something loose hitting and low RPM , hows does a WOT run look like does it show any KR? Does it always show KR at these speeds or was this the first time?
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

What crappy gas are you buying? Did you ever try to pull some timing to see if that ever made any different results?
      Last edited by Blizzard242; 04-24-2009, 11:25 PM.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

The stock thermostat is one reason.
        The next question is Do you have a wide band O2 yet? Lean conditions will also cause KR.
        Can you hear knock?

If you can't hear it knocking then it most likely isn't. You need to lower how much timing is pulled out for each knock event and how fast timing is added back . Some call this desensitizing the knock sensor.

What brand and grade of gas are you running?
        sigpic

Comment

well i use the best gas you can buy in a small town in nova scotia,options are limited but its 91 octane supreme from esso or petro-can, i tried octane boost to with no luck. that was one of my first scans but the knock is always there, it is audible and i always wondered what the noise was when under load but could never find it, i think it might be something else rattleing but cant seem to find it,any ideas as to what i could check, the only noise i could ever hear is from the bell housing and its a sorta rattle noise but not loud, and a noisy lifter on startup.
          Think you could point me in the right direction on desensitizing the knock sensor???

Comment

If you can hear the engine pinging and think it is spark knock, then do not desensitize the knock sensors. Lower T stat temp would be the first thing I would try before pulling timing.

As far as gas goes, I have found that some brands of 93 here will let me run more timing then others, even if they are both 93.
            A heat range colder spark plug could also help.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bigbrian442 View Post
              If you can hear the engine pinging and think it is spark knock, then do not desensitize the knock sensors. Lower T stat temp would be the first thing I would try before pulling timing.

As far as gas goes, I have found that some brands of 93 here will let me run more timing then others, even if they are both 93.
              A heat range colder spark plug could also help.
              So which brands of gas do you use? I only use Shell's V-power stuff. I've never had any problems and the cars run awesome with it.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Originally posted by Blizzard242 View Post
                So which brands of gas do you use? I only use Shell's V-power stuff. I've never had any problems and the cars run awesome with it.
                BP 93. It used to be called Amoco ultimate.
                sigpic

Comment

i use esso or petro can , like i said im in a small town in nova scotia , the highest we go is 91. thats my options. i can hear a rattle when its doing it, but i think it might be false knock, i just wanted to know if there was anything visable from my scan.

Comment

If it sounds like the valves rattling it's not false knock. Your not in PE mode while it's doing this on your scan so you can do a few things.

1 Since the scan shows part throttle KR make sure your EGR is working properly

2 Go to a 160 T stat and adjust the fan settings accordingly

3 Install a colder heat range spark plug

4 Pull timing from the areas it is getting the knock

I would try those in that order.
                    sigpic

Comment

ok thanks ill try that today,well maybe not the spark plugs cause i just paid alot to my garage to change them,never thought it would cost that much but anyway. Where could i get a 160 t stat around here or will i have to order it online, think carquest would have one??

Comment

Autozone , checker , Nappa should have thermo stats. Should be around $15. Here in AZ the highest is 91 , thats why I got a methanol kit to help cool the intake temps. And help with timing since it is 51% water and 49 % methanol.
                        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by LEOMAC23 View Post
                          ok thanks ill try that today,well maybe not the spark plugs cause i just paid alot to my garage to change them,never thought it would cost that much but anyway. Where could i get a 160 t stat around here or will i have to order it online, think carquest would have one??

Advance is the only one around here that doesn't have them.
                          sigpic

Comment

ok i did a scan today over a longer time while driving on the highway and there seems to be knock retard almost all the time when at these speeds and accelerating at all. brian do ya think u could have another quick peek at this one and see if you notice anything?? I would really appreciate it.
                            Its the last post by me here.. http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...843#post167843

Comment

I would do the things I posted above before I desensitize the knock sensors. knock while at part throttle cruse is normally the EGR valve not working.
                              sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X