Carb V8 Swap, need help???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Carb V8 Swap, need help???

You should try and get in touch with Pathogen. She should be able to lead you to the right direction when it comes to installing carb engine into a 4th gen fbody. She sold a chasis to this guy who in turn installed a carb engine. The car used to be Stefan's Projectvirus. It does put down over 400rwhp.

1998 Firebird . 1989 Firebird XS . 1986 Fiero GT

Comment

if you could help me get in touch with her, or him that would be great.

I mean the turbo is sweet, don't get me wrong, but a v8 gives you so much more of a better beginning platform. No offense, but it is the way i have to go

Comment

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/conver...de-1500-a.html

Check this out, it is a great link on ls1 tech about the 5.3 swap. thanks a lot guys. If anyone wants to keep talking on hear i am more then happy to talk about v8 swaps

Comment

Originally posted by akent View Post
          if you could help me get in touch with her, or him that would be great.

I mean the turbo is sweet, don't get me wrong, but a v8 gives you so much more of a better beginning platform. No offense, but it is the way i have to go
          Well this is her website: http://www.firestorm98.com/

I not sure if the installation was done at her shop.

Comment

its not that hard.. just get an lt1 k member, mount the sbc to it, measure how much of the cowl you will need to cut off, cut it, get a rad from either an lt1 or 3rd gen, and use the lt1 headers everything will work good

you will just need a different driveshaft, trans crossmember, and fuel pump, and of course gauges

but other than that, it is pretty straightforward

Comment

Originally posted by akent View Post
              wow guys,

thank you so much for all the help. I mean i am wanting to switch to a carb motor, because the after market is huge, and you can build 400 horsepower if you know what you are doing for a little over $2200. To me that is cheap horsepower. Its not the most efficient, and you defiantly want get great gas mileage with a carb right out of the box, but it is a well known system. Also, people just keep making it better. Look at barry grant daemon carbs. Overall, thanks a lot. I am either going to build the 305 or maybe do a 5.3 out of a late model truck. Stay tuned i will keep you posted.

P.S. Does anyone know if a 5.3 truck motor bolts up to a stock ls1 k-member? Also, between the lt1 k-member and the 3.8 k-member are they different or are they just different motor mounts??
              BG carbs suck, they are basically copies of a holley with different float bowls... which usually fill up with pieces of metal and mess your floats up leaving you stranded

im not really sure about the truck engine, if it is a gen1 sbc, then it will work, but it will not fit with the ls1 k member

it will fit the lt1 k member directly, and also the v6 if you use motor plates.

Comment

Originally posted by cam98aro View Post
                its not that hard.. just get an lt1 k member, mount the sbc to it, measure how much of the cowl you will need to cut off, cut it, get a rad from either an lt1 or 3rd gen, and use the lt1 headers everything will work good

you will just need a different driveshaft, trans crossmember, and fuel pump, and of course gauges

but other than that, it is pretty straightforward
                I'm pretty positive that there was no cutting done to install an engine like that to Project Virus.

Comment

Originally posted by Mighty Thor View Post
                  I'm pretty positive that there was no cutting done to install an engine like that to Project Virus.
                  you dont have to cut it up, you can possibly bend it up with a very short intake manifold and carb with a tiny air filter

Comment

yeah, i don't think that i need to cut the car. But as of last night i found out that the 5.3 liter late model truck motor has the same dimension of an ls1, and will bolt up to the ls1 k-member. SO, i am doing that swap. Plus the ls1 harness will work if you change the injectors, manifold, and fuel rails.

P.S. Barry Grant Carbs have more tunning capabilities then most holleys, and have been proven out of the box to make more power. They are wet flowed, and have shown to flow more then 50cfm then advertised. If you as anyone is racing circles, they have switched to barry grant carbs because ease of tune-ability, and more power.

Comment

Not 100% sure if the 5.3 will fit without oil pan modification. Theres a site out there for specially made oil pans...
                      sigpic
                      98 Camaro 3.8 M5 Y87 | 99 Camaro LS1 Z28 T56

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X