1.7 Rockers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1.7 Rockers

Quick question. Can I install 1.7 pro mag rockers on an otherwise stock valvetrain? I know it wont be much of a performance gain, but I have them and I have the time...so why not, as long as they'll be fine with stock springs, push rods, etc.

Also I run nitrous...any ill effects here? and the car has about 120k miles.
    Old Car = 12.679 @ 106.5 on 150 dry shot.
    New Car = 2010 3.6l 304hp Camaro

Re: 1.7 Rockers

considering stock is 1.6, i dont see why 1.7 would hurt anything...but then again i dont know nitrous...
    Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

1.7's would be fine, but might get some stronger spings, retainers, pushrods if you have the extra cash since you'll have the valve covers off. It will give you a little more lift, as long as you have a stock cam and not a aftermarket. I think someone gained like 15hp-20hp with 1.9's. So maybe 5HP N/A and whatever the nitrous likes.LOL
      08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
      96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

i am currently running 1.9 on stock retainers and pushrods...with LS6 springs.
        Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

^ How much gain did you see with the 1.9's? LS6 Springs are those 90lb springs? Aren't you suppose to use LS or modded retainers with the LS6 springs to keep the 1.8 spring height? Just asking because I thought with different springs we had to use different retainers.
          08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
          96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

I could totally tell a good gain, i havent actually gotten times yet, and i live in BFE so there isn't a dyno close. i liked it so much i ran the dog crap out of it and it blew a head gasket, water in the oil, big nasty mess.
            it was my understanding that the springs were a direct fit, so i just put em in and went. I have got about 2,000 miles on them. and the heads tested good so ill be putting the engine back together sometime this week and still use them.
            i got em from 3800performance...really bad idea, i still havent gotten my core return on the rockers.
            Team NoVa

Comment

I would read this from ZZP it says not to run stock retainers with LS spings, it increases LB load and increases lift .080. It has it underlined at the end of the paragraph. I use ZZP modded retainers with my 105lb springs. You might want to pick some up.

http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_p...les1.php?id=53

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
                I would read this from ZZP it says not to run stock retainers with LS spings, it increases LB load and increases lift .080. It has it underlined at the end of the paragraph. I use ZZP modded retainers with my 105lb springs. You might want to pick some up.

X2 flamingchicken get the modded retainers they are really inexpensive and according to the zzp article it seems like they're a big deal. I run them with my 1.9's and ls6 yellow springs. Btw what happened to the 5.3 build you were doing flamingchicken?

Comment

I bought some manley titanium valve spring retainers with 105 comp springs and 1.7 yella terra rockers. No problems with them at all on the stock cam. Problem is, I don't know the specs of the retainers exactly. The best information Intense-racing.com gives is that they give .045 more clearance than comp cams retainers. Not to hijack the thread but does anyone know the specs on those retainers?

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Originally posted by flamingchicken View Post
                    I could totally tell a good gain, i havent actually gotten times yet, and i live in BFE so there isn't a dyno close. i liked it so much i ran the dog crap out of it and it blew a head gasket, water in the oil, big nasty mess.
                    it was my understanding that the springs were a direct fit, so i just put em in and went. I have got about 2,000 miles on them. and the heads tested good so ill be putting the engine back together sometime this week and still use them.
                    i got em from 3800performance...really bad idea, i still havent gotten my core return on the rockers.
                    The installed height on your springs is too short with the stock retainer. You should at least be using the LS1/LS6 retainer to get the 1.8" installed height. You do have a good chance of breaking the springs with those stock retainers.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Blizzard242 View Post
                      I bought some manley titanium valve spring retainers with 105 comp springs and 1.7 yella terra rockers. No problems with them at all on the stock cam. Problem is, I don't know the specs of the retainers exactly. The best information Intense-racing.com gives is that they give .045 more clearance than comp cams retainers. Not to hijack the thread but does anyone know the specs on those retainers?

Get out of this thread your hijacking too much lately.LOL J/K

ZZP modded retainers give you like .030 more clearance , and used with Viton guide seals its like .050 more clearance.

Comment

Originally posted by Blizzard242 View Post
                        You should measure the installed height of each retainer and compare. Clearance usually refers to the distance between the guide/ seal and the retainer. Chances are they are made for the LS motors and provide the 1.8" installed height that you need, but it's always best to check.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by screamin 99 View Post
                          X2 flamingchicken get the modded retainers they are really inexpensive and according to the zzp article it seems like they're a big deal. I run them with my 1.9's and ls6 yellow springs. Btw what happened to the 5.3 build you were doing flamingchicken?
                          yet another expense at doing a mod that i truly didnt need to begin with.

i needed money for school so i sold the truck, plus it was getting expensive anyways. as much as i had my heart set on it, i did some thinking and made that hard but responsible decision to keep my bird as a dependable daily, and beef up my volkswagen for speed...plus i gotta admit that i can make my bug fast as hell for alot cheaper than it would take to make my bird fast as hell.
                          Team NoVa

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post

i guess i should count myself lucky i didnt break crap...
                            Team NoVa

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X