Engine is back together! Carnage pics inside - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Engine is back together! Carnage pics inside

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine is back together! Carnage pics inside

Well as most of you know, I have had my car under the knife for like a year as I went for a full rebuild of the engine and other goodies in hopes of 11sec runs. Last year I originally had Lance Abbott build me a shortblock. I received the engine and installed it into the car, got the engine to run and it never sounded right mechanically and idle was all over. Before I even took it down the road I trailered it to zzp for a dynotune and break in to make sure everything was good to go. Right away they knew something wasn't right on the dyno and as the continued to dial in the tune the power numbers kept dropping, bottom end was making noise and oil psi was going down.

Car never made ran more than 15-20 minutes and the bottom end was heading south. So I had to pull the engine out once more and start over with the bottom end as this one was no good. I talked to Lance about it and he said everything was in spec, blah blah, etc. A few PMs back and forth and Lance made things right for the poor bottom end and I ended up taking it to a local shop to redo it once more. The shop found two of the connecting rods were not machined properly and they were too tight. The oil pickup was also hitting the oil pan. I had a spare crank on hand so I gave that to the machine shop as well since the one that was in there was marked up and would have had to of been turned a second time. I felt it would be too weak after being turned already once before so I gave them the stocker I had here.

Just got the engine back from the shop this weekend and it is now set to go however! So now I get to install the engine a second time into the car and hopefully everything works great now. I am just ready to get this build over with and enjoy the car again. Here are some carnage pics as well as the engine back together after I put the accessories and such on it yesterday afternoon preparing it for the car again.

Oil filter cut open and oil/metal drained out

Oil filter cut open

Bearings

Bearings up close that went south
    http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Re: Engine is back together! Carnage pics inside

Engine back together and accessories back on

Comment

Sorry to hear of your initial troubles:(

I hope it all goes well for you now :)

Comment

Good luck getting it in and up and running. I would never have a engine rebuilt out of state, there are too many great places and people here where I live that rebuild engines. When I had mine built before, I just bought all the parts and the mechanic put it together for $750.
        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
          Good luck getting it in and up and running. I would never have a engine rebuilt out of state, there are too many great places and people here where I live that rebuild engines. When I had mine built before, I just bought all the parts and the mechanic put it together for $750.
          yea I had it done by lance abbott figuring he would be able to build a sick 3.8 engine like his was in his own car. Lesson learned the hard way. I was scared as soon as I seen what happened to Linx's engine that Lance built as well which was just before mine but I had already paid and he started gathering parts for it.

Comment

The mechanic bulit mine 6 years ago and I have put 45,000 miles on it. I have ran 8-10 PSI with the powerdyne and about 10-12 bottles of nitous and it still runs like a champ. I remember when Linx's motor blew and you were having yours built, its a shame they wouldn't of learned their lesson the first time , and would of double checked your engine over before it was sent to you. At least you got some reimbursement, Linx got nothing. If they were a stand up CO. they would of built you a new engine for free and paid for yours to be shipped back. Then they would have more respect for building an engine instead of blowing off the customers who spent alot of money with them to have peices of metal to show for it.
            08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
            96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

lance abbott himself did the engine build, abbott racing heads does not do the engine builds. They do heads.

Comment

what did the first build cost??

Comment

Originally posted by jrherald420 View Post
                  what did the first build cost??
                  too much as it was not a good one, lol

Comment

congrats man...hurry up and get her all pieced together adn get some numbers down...without the juice...

I'll eventually be going with the stage 3 heads and the intake...I wanna see what I have to look forward to...

what kind of compression you running anyways?

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
                    1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

compression should be around 10.4:1 ;)

Comment

nice...so you are able to run what 91 octane with that setup? Why did you opt to go with the high compression pistons rather then just milling the heads down to get that compression?

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
                        1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

My build about 6 years ago, with VS cam , 9:5.1 Diamond forged pistons/total seal piston rings , clev. 77 bearings all around, Comp OER lifters , light weight pushrods and home P/P heads, upper/lower intakes, was about about $3500 and include the engine rebuild kit with FPR, oil pump etc. I then have installed COMP 5/16 pushrods, Comp 105LB springs ,ZZP modded retainers. My labor was about $750, so the parts add up.

Comment

because milling the heads down would be trouble when running the bit nitrous shots. Thinner heads=lifted heads etc.

so I gained the compression elsewhere. I thought about the deck as well but 10.4:1 is enough for me so I can use pump gas yet

Comment

I like that compression, should work very well with the nitrous, I thnik mine came out to about 9.8:1 after milling the heads.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X