crankshaft for 3.4l v6 camaro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• crankshaft for 3.4l v6 camaro

ok im going to start from the bottom of my motor for my twin turbo build. my question is where the heck do i get a performance crankshaft for my motor? for my turbo build i would need to find a light weight one right?

Re: crankshaft for 3.4l v6 camaro

jegs, summit, or sdpc should have them

Comment

no one stocks a performance crank for the 3.4. I did a lot of searching before, and I couldn't find a single company that makes one. After the weak pistons and horrible intake design, its probably one of the worst parts of these engines.

Option 1: Buy a new factory piece, and maybe look into things like cryo treating it. Don't know how much that will help you, but at least you have a clean crank that hasn't been weakened by being turned down. Plus this shouldn't break the bank

Option 2: Custom billet crank - hideously expensive - you end up with a piece of art that you are almost ashamed to hide behind the block and oil pan.

If for some reason you find one, you do not want a light weight crank. It may rev higher, and depending on your turbo setup, this may help. But light weight cranks don't always have the strength for a forced induction setup. Lower weight pistons and rods help out more, due to them actually moving further, and changing directions twice a revolution. weight in the crank just spins in one direction. Like a light weight flywheel, it may help... but its not worth the sacrifice in strength for a street car.
      Phill<br /><br />95 camaro... need money for turbo project... <br />94 S10 Blazer - winter beater - infinity system to be installed soon<br /><br />\"The man who says it cant be done should not interrupt the man doing it...\"

Comment

If you want to save some cash, I can tell you how to get a forged crank, but it will take some enginuity on your part ;0

Comment

ok how do i get a forged crank and do i have to change anything on the block to make it fix. thanks

Comment

Originally posted by TheRedDragon View Post
            ok how do i get a forged crank and do i have to change anything on the block to make it fix. thanks
            Get a crank from a 3500, they are forged. I an extra one if you can't find it elsewhere that I could sell you.

The rod dowels are 2.249" and need to be ground down to 1.99" and the 52x DIS trigger ring on the center of it need to be pressed off and the timing notches (like your 3.4) need to be machined into it.

Most crank machine shops will charge you about $450-600 for the rod pins to be turned, and not sure on the notches, but they are for sure forged.

You also may be able to use an external DIS trigger, but until the prototypes are done, there aren't any available for the RWD crank pulley/dampener as of yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Forced_Firebird View Post
              Get a crank from a 3500, they are forged. I an extra one if you can't find it elsewhere that I could sell you.

The rod dowels are 2.249" and need to be ground down to 1.99" and the 52x DIS trigger ring on the center of it need to be pressed off and the timing notches (like your 3.4) need to be machined into it.

Most crank machine shops will charge you about $450-600 for the rod pins to be turned, and not sure on the notches, but they are for sure forged.

You also may be able to use an external DIS trigger, but until the prototypes are done, there aren't any available for the RWD crank pulley/dampener as of yet.
              intersting.. i wasn't aware of this swap... i knew that some people over at 60*V6 were doing the newer style AL heads, but I wasn't aware that anyone had ventured into using their crank. good info.

Is the rod length still the same as the factory 3.4, or do you use the entire 3500 bottom end in our block?
              Phill<br /><br />95 camaro... need money for turbo project... <br />94 S10 Blazer - winter beater - infinity system to be installed soon<br /><br />\"The man who says it cant be done should not interrupt the man doing it...\"

Comment

You can use the stock 3.4 rods ;) The 3500 rods are a hair longer (~.2"), and have a larger bore on the big end, hence the reason for the grinding of the crank pins from 2.25 to 2"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X