1.9 ratio rockers ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1.9 ratio rockers ?

I was wondering if anyone has used high ratio rockers instead of an aftermarket cam. I would like to put in a cam and ported cylinder heads but I don't really feel like it's worth the effort for me since I may not have the car for but year or two more. Plus I don't feel like spending all that time and money on a high mileage car (over 140k). Anyway, would any of you experts advise on just putting in 1.9 ratio rockers and a custom pcm tune? The 1.9 rockers from ZZ Performance say they will give 20hp and pretty much do the same thing as a larger cam.
    Thanks

Re: 1.9 ratio rockers ?

Click Here

Abbott long tubes,homemade true duals,slp ram air,whisper lid,eibach springs,kyb shocks,BMR subframe connectors, BMR LCA reloc brackets,BMR LCAs. T-top/manual converted

Comment

im not an expert, but you will have people on here say that rockers are pointless go ahead and do the cam, but i have rockers, and it was a relatively easy process, pretty inexpensive, and i am pleased with the results. 20 hp is at the flywheel, bank on around 15 at the wheels, which is totally noticable.
      i am still running on a stock tune, with headers, !cat, 2.5 all the way, lid with k&n, tb spacer, and rockers with ls1 springs. I kept the stock retainers.
      Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

It is going to depend on your goals for the car whether or not they are worth it. Since you said your not going to have the car for much longer i wouldn't be dropping money into it unless you can get a good deal on some used parts.

Comment

Rockers would be an easy few hp, however, it's not a cheap mod. While you would yield the same lifting benefits of a large cam, you wouldn't be playing with duration and LSA, so your powerband will be uneffected, etc. Most people (myself included) would install a cam rather than just rockers, however, I don't think it's worthwhile on such a high mileage motor.

Comment

Originally posted by Meatyshells View Post
            very helpful

Comment

Originally posted by 3.4orNothing View Post
              very helpful
              well considering there is a 3 page long post about 1.9 rockers on page 2 of this forum.....

Abbott long tubes,homemade true duals,slp ram air,whisper lid,eibach springs,kyb shocks,BMR subframe connectors, BMR LCA reloc brackets,BMR LCAs. T-top/manual converted

Comment

Come on Ryan, it could of been a 10 page write up and more detail.LOL J/K
                08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by flamingchicken View Post
                  im not an expert, but you will have people on here say that rockers are pointless go ahead and do the cam, but i have rockers, and it was a relatively easy process, pretty inexpensive, and i am pleased with the results. 20 hp is at the flywheel, bank on around 15 at the wheels, which is totally noticable.
                  i am still running on a stock tune, with headers, !cat, 2.5 all the way, lid with k&n, tb spacer, and rockers with ls1 springs. I kept the stock retainers.
                  they arent pointless per say, but think about it, having a stock cam with a higher lift isnt going to give you a bunch of horsepower.. IMO it wouldnt even be worth it doing the rockers without the cam

sure, you are getting a higher lift to get a little more fuel/air into the combustion chamber, but you are sacrificing the added effects of more duration which keeps the valve open longer

think of an air compressor, lets say you are blowing air out of it, lets say you have a small blow gun, and stock valve lift is holding the button down for a second at 3/4 of the way, putting new rockers on without a cam is like giving it 100% but its still for only a second.. not much improvement.. then think about a longer duration cam.. you are getting even more lift, and more duration, so its like letting 110% air out for 2 seconds.. you are getting double the benefits, and a ton more air

Comment

i would rather have 1.9s than a cam i am not a big fan of big cams they sound great in cars with some balls but not a pretty much stock 3.8
                    2001 Camaro 3.8 A4
                    1991 3000GT VR4
                    2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS

Comment

Originally posted by jimmysprinkle View Post
                      Rockers would be an easy few hp, however, it's not a cheap mod. While you would yield the same lifting benefits of a large cam, you wouldn't be playing with duration and LSA, so your powerband will be uneffected, etc. Most people (myself included) would install a cam rather than just rockers, however, I don't think it's worthwhile on such a high mileage motor.
                      It's a lot cheaper and easier than a cam. I would like to mod the engine but I'd rather just save up for a new car than dump $2,500 on a cam and heads. But in the meantime I just want a fairly easy mod that will give some hp and this and a tune is pretty much the only thing left for me to do, without taking half my engine apart.

Comment

Originally posted by Meatyshells View Post
                        well considering there is a 3 page long post about 1.9 rockers on page 2 of this forum.....
                        thanks

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X