Nasty ticking noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nasty ticking noise

I Have a very very brutal ticking noise on the passenger side of the car. And i know what your all thinking... bad injector.. well ive hit all the injectors with the stethascope and have yet to here a differnce.. Its quite loud on a cold start in the morning.. then it quiets down a LITTLE bit once it finally heats up but its still tickin away.. I feel like im left with only a couple options here... eather its a lifter, or one of the cylinoids*i believe that the right word haha* that one of the vaccum lines is hooked up to on top of the passenger valve cover. Used amsoil 10-30 full syn. Does not change sound on new oil. Open for suggestions or ideas. Im stumped. :] and as always thank you for the feedback guys.

Re: Nasty ticking noise

I would check your exhaust that runs under the oil pan it is doubled walled and might be leaking and rattling. Might need it rewelded. Then just check your header flanges, and all gaskets on the exhaust.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

nasty ticking?

yeah that sounds like a bad/clogged lifter

is the car running rough at all?

Comment

I would call lifter
        Leonard
        www.fquick.com/96V6Junkie
        sigpic

Comment

Exhaust is brand new.... new y pipe, cat what not... could be right on the exhaust gasket though, im scared to take it off though. Front bolt on passenger side has the head broken off... i assume from old age 150,000 :omg: is there anyway to check lifter besides replacing all of them?

Comment

I would say either a lifter or exhaust manifold leak, but I'm on an amateur. Next time you cold start your car, before the manifold heats up, just put your hand near it to feel if any exhaust gas is leaking from around the header gasket. Be careful, if you have headers they heat up really quickly.

Comment

I know this is a bit old...but is the ticking predominately up top? and kinda' loud and increases with acceleration? Mine was making a loud ticking up top.

The car ran pretty smooth, except when it first started, it ran like *** for a minute or so, then it ran fine. I finally got around taking the pushrods out today and a couple of them are scored...

Comment

Yea, my sticky lifter is pretty damn loud when my car is first started. Once it starts getting warm it goes away. No running problems when its ticking though.

Comment

Hey guys i found out what the problem was... i had an exhaust leak AND a bad lifter.. hows that one for ya! Anyway the front most bolt on the passenger side was broke off.... inside the block. Needless to say i learned how valve jobs are done :] hahah Thanks for all the help guys.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X