Pulling an Engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pulling an Engine

So who can give me a good link to a guide to pull the 3.8L engine/a4 tranny out of my 1998 Camaro?? :)

Re: Pulling an Engine

don't have a guide right handy, but thru the bottom is easiest.
    http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

http://www.michiganspeed.com/enginepull/index.html
      MISC: 01 parts. Some interior, T top kit, seats etc.
      http://forum.camarov6.com/showthread.php?t=95347

Comment

thanks, but i need a guide for a v6 and it needs to be from the top, i know the difficulty but thanks tho

Comment

your not gonna take the engine/transmission out through the top unless you want to take your hood off and dissemble the front end

then all you would need to do is unbolt the trans mount, engine mounts, and all of the wiring crap, and the exhaust

Comment

why do you have to have it out the top?

It can be done and has been done many times, you have to remove the heads, intakes, and such along with the fans and radiator to do it. Some leave the radiator and carefully do it
            http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

why through the top?
              Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

speaking of pulling engines, there was a write up i saw somewhere with a white LS1 car that used a lift, anyone have a link to that?
                Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

z28 or 3800.. doesnt matter thats what I used to take my trans and motor out.

as far as taking the motor and trans out the top, you have to take the top intake off, headers, heads, damn near everything up front...

trust me when i say its EASIER to take the motor from the bottom... even the GM manual says to do it that way...

you can also use the search feature on the boards.. its a great tool, but you will only find a COUPLE people on here that have taken it from the top... but wtf right? we dont know what we are talking about
                  Archer

Comment

Originally posted by Archer View Post
                    ... but wtf right? we dont know what we are talking about
                    Archer
                    thats what i was thinking...i just wanna go ahead and take this time to appologize for being a crappy newb at somepoint...
                    Team NoVa

Comment

Originally posted by flamingchicken View Post
                      thats what i was thinking...i just wanna go ahead and take this time to apologize for being a crappy newb at some point...
                      no reason.. many have used the method I posted, hell thats how I got my engine and trans out. I asked, someone posted the link, I used the search feature on numerous sites... and by far that was the BEST explained method out there unless I had access to a lift or a fork lift... doing it through the bottom took me MAYBE 2 hours, and that was taking numerous amounts of breaks..

Im not one to ***** at someone, but you dont pop in ask for advise and act like the people that are trying to help are full of it.

as far as a guide on taking it from the top, I have yet to find one, and I have had many sites about taking the engine and trans out for appx a year now. If there is one out there, I have yet to find it.

6 bolts, trans mount bracket ( 4 bolts) remove drive shaft, and raise the car.. well disco break lines, sway bar, and anything else attached to the k member.
                      besides if your car has AC, the compressor is a PITA to take out. with the compressor there, its damn near impossible (possible) to take the pass side motor mount out without (almost) killing yourself. GM says from the bottom for a reason. why make things harder.
                      and it doesnt matter if its a 3.4, 3.8, LT1, or an LS1... they all use the same method.
                      Archer

Comment

someone really needs to sticky an engine removal...maybe someone who is about to do one...me.
                        Team NoVa

Comment

Originally posted by flamingchicken View Post
                          someone really needs to sticky an engine removal...maybe someone who is about to do one...me.
                          there are already so many guides on how to do it. There was already a perfectly fine guide posted already

Abbott long tubes,homemade true duals,slp ram air,whisper lid,eibach springs,kyb shocks,BMR subframe connectors, BMR LCA reloc brackets,BMR LCAs. T-top/manual converted

Comment

werd. i just meant one for this site, with a V6 car.
                            Team NoVa

Comment

also, i would NOT pull the transmission out through the top while it is still connected to the engine, it is seriously like 21 bolts (counting from my head) to remove the trans from the bottom

the way the fbodies are designed, the engine/trans are so far set back, it makes ot nearly impossible to remove both from the top

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X