so i just bought a 5.3 chevy truck for my swap - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

so i just bought a 5.3 chevy truck for my swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• so i just bought a 5.3 chevy truck for my swap

As it says i just bought the whole truck, $1500, wrecked in the rear. Now i just need a couple pieces of information.

1. Do i have to change the piece that the motor mounts to, (k-member?)

2. Do i need to change the radiator?

3. Is the output shaft the same, or do I need to change the yolk?

if you can point me in the right direction it would be great, google only brings up forums where people are talking about doing the swap, not actually doing the swap.

it would be the same as a LS1 swap right?

Also, is the gearing the same in the V8 4L60E as the V6 one?
    Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Re: so i just bought a 5.3 chevy truck for my swap

1. yes
    2. if this is a v6 donor car, yes, an ls1/lt1 rad will work with a small block
    3. not sure, what exactly are you doing transmission wise?

take a look at ls1tech in the SBC/BBC forum, there is a ton of people who have done a swap, and a LOT of useful stickies

Comment

it is pretty much the same as an ls1 swap, let me know how this goes i really want to do this swap

Abbott long tubes,homemade true duals,slp ram air,whisper lid,eibach springs,kyb shocks,BMR subframe connectors, BMR LCA reloc brackets,BMR LCAs. T-top/manual converted

Comment

hey man, heres u a link for some 3.8 to ls1 swaps, http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/search.php?do=process the info should be pretty much the same for the 5.3. ur going to need:ls1 k-member, more then likely the ls1 steering knuckle, wiring harness, pcm, 93-02 Z28/trans/am rear end, u will have to get a crossmember made more then likely, might want to get the 99-02 ls1 fuel set-up, tank, harness to the fuel pump, fuel pump, sending unit! i think it would be safer to get an ls1 tranny, im not sure if the v6 input shaft would work with the 5.3! the difference from the 5.3 to the ls1 is stroke i think, might be the bore, but from what i have read the block is the same as an ls1, except for it being iron! best of luck!

Comment

ill try to make a documentation of what i have to do.

The trucks also have 4L60E trannys in them, so i guess there wont be a problem with the output shaft.

I located the k-member today, it'll have to be shipped from georgia.

If anyone has anything to add, feel free.
          Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

Good luck with the swap.
            08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
            96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by devilsalmostfree View Post
              hey man, heres u a link for some 3.8 to ls1 swaps, http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/search.php?do=process the info should be pretty much the same for the 5.3. ur going to need:ls1 k-member, more then likely the ls1 steering knuckle, wiring harness, pcm, 93-02 Z28/trans/am rear end, u will have to get a crossmember made more then likely, might want to get the 99-02 ls1 fuel set-up, tank, harness to the fuel pump, fuel pump, sending unit! i think it would be safer to get an ls1 tranny, im not sure if the v6 input shaft would work with the 5.3! the difference from the 5.3 to the ls1 is stroke i think, might be the bore, but from what i have read the block is the same as an ls1, except for it being iron! best of luck!
              there is no need to change the rear end, they were all relatively the same for all the cars, difference being the gears and lsd, and the cross member should work. tranny bolts up in the same place, the motor sticks out further in the front. the only think i need fuel wise is the pump in the tank for more volume. the tranny from the 5.3 truck is a 4l60e, so the out put shaft to the drive shaft will work.
              i also have to change out the intake side of things to an ls1, and get a cable pedal assy. and change the oil pan. this is starting to add up....but im bolting in 290 hp.... ill let yall know if i quit.
              Team NoVa

Comment

ya cant quite, just take ur time & get ur parts. atleast u can still drive ur car until u actually get the engine ready! u can get an ls1 oil pan fairly cheap from gmpartsdirect.com, ls1tech has alot of part #'s. i was told to get the non-traction control throttle cable, but that is for my 94 Z28, so i dunno what u would need.

Comment

yea, well thats why im looking into the swap, i blew the motor up...well, the right side anyways, no compression, water in the oil, nasty mess. Im driving the beater for the time being
                  Team NoVa

Comment

If you didnt get the tranny with the 5.3 motor, you will need to get one (or one from a Z28 or T/A). The 5.3/5.7 WILL NOT bolt up to a 4L60e that came from a V6. The bolt pattern is different on the bell housing as well as some of the guts.

BTW, dont forget a new gauge cluster (so your speedo and tach work correctly) and front suspension (for the added weight).

Seems like a real waste of time and money for the swap if you are going to keep the stock open differential rear with 3.08's too...but thats just me ;)
                    sigpic
                    1997 Camaro RS A4
                    2006 Chevy Colorado
                    2003 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6-R

Comment

Originally posted by Shodown View Post
                      If you didnt get the tranny with the 5.3 motor, you will need to get one (or one from a Z28 or T/A). The 5.3/5.7 WILL NOT bolt up to a 4L60e that came from a V6. The bolt pattern is different on the bell housing as well as some of the guts.

BTW, dont forget a new gauge cluster (so your speedo and tach work correctly) and front suspension (for the added weight).

Seems like a real waste of time and money for the swap if you are going to keep the stock open differential rear with 3.08's too...but thats just me ;)
                      correct. ls1 springs should be good, along with a bigger sway bar,and yes id advise you to go LSD in the gear at the least. you can find another f-body rear with a lsd or a s10 rear end with better gears.
                      1998 bright red camaro ,M5 ,Y87 ,stock<br /><br />Originally posted by Rune:<br />If it smells like a turd and looks like a turd, chances are its probably not a candy bar.

Comment

i know that to swap that 5.3 drive train in you are going to need the accesories off and ls1 car and the oil pan. you may also need the ecm from an ls1 car
                        96 camaro auto base model<br />slp cai<br />pacesetter headers<br />flowmaster catback<br />35th anniversary ss wheels<br />richmond 3.73<br />98+ ss spoiler<br />hypertech 160 degree thermostat<br />transgo shift kit

Comment

Originally posted by Shodown View Post
                          If you didnt get the tranny with the 5.3 motor, you will need to get one (or one from a Z28 or T/A). The 5.3/5.7 WILL NOT bolt up to a 4L60e that came from a V6. The bolt pattern is different on the bell housing as well as some of the guts

i got the whole truck...

already have 3.42 and lsd, GU6 and G80 are on my vin codes
                          Team NoVa

Comment

Originally posted by David8399 View Post
                            i know that to swap that 5.3 drive train in you are going to need the accesories off and ls1 car and the oil pan. you may also need the ecm from an ls1 car
                            oil pan, intake, throttle body, springs, and one thing i totally didnt know, steering rack, fuel pump (although they are the same rate, the volume is different or something like that) i have done my homework....i wont need the ecm cause i read somewhere that the LS1 have different injector pulse rates (not sure if it is true or not) plus i have the one from the truck, and the wireing harness as well. i havent even pulled engines yet, im gathering parts atm
                            Team NoVa

Comment

Originally posted by flamingchicken View Post

i got the whole truck...
                              Good :tup:

Originally posted by flamingchicken View Post
                              already have 3.42 and lsd, GU6 and G80 are on my vin codes
                              Again...good :tup:

haha
                              sigpic
                              1997 Camaro RS A4
                              2006 Chevy Colorado
                              2003 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6-R

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X