Engine Knock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Knock

So my engine in my 96 firebird 3.8 has been making this knocking for about a month. finally the car wouldnt start but it turns out that was just a fuel pump. Replaced the fuel pump which was a pain in the a** and got it running again. Then one week later the car wont run. I got it started two or three times but it only ran for a few seconds and made this horrible squeeling noise. And its very hard to turn over the engine. feels like something is very wrong. and ideas?

Re: Engine Knock

sounds like you got a knock...lol.

how did it run after you did the fuel pump, like performance wise? is it a solid thunk knock, or a tapping?
    Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

it ran just like it did before we replaced the pump. its a solid knock that is really loud when i start it and is present when driving. it seemed like the car didnt accelerate as well when the engine started making noise and for some odd reason it also didnt really shift like it normally would on the automatic transmission.

Comment

ok, so fuel pump had no affect on it. may be a rod bearing gone bad. might be time for a rebuild.
        Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

yea thats what i was thinking. i have a friend that would do the work fairly cheap but do you have any idea what all the parts would cost and how long it would take? assuming that its a rod bearing

Comment

I think it would be easier to buy a low miliage block from a another F-Body or a FWD Buick 3.8 , Lasabre 03' is a good choice. And just swap over the parts.
            08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
            96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

well you could rebuild if you wanted to, i for one am going to do just that, but when i do itll be a monster v-6, with a 4.2 stroker kit...
              i am searching for the engine i will use now, and i have found two, one in a camaro and one in a grand prix, both for $400 if i pull them. like ssms said, buying a used lower mileage engine is more than likely the way to go, and offer to pull it that way it saves you money and you can hear the motor run before you take it to the house and drop it in. FWD motors are easier to pull....
              Team NoVa

Comment

ok thanks you guys for the ideas

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X