1.9 rockers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1.9 rockers?

I was messing around ebay and came across some 1.9 ratio rockers for our 3.8l cars. Anyone running these? Here is the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3421&viewitem=

Seems like a really good price for 20hp as I don't want to try a cam swap right now.

Re: 1.9 rockers?

i just installed mine, and some other dude on here just did his. well worth the effort, and the cash. the ad says that it takes less than two hours, but on our cars bank on around 5 or six, there is a bracket on the back of the motor that you ahve to get off that is a pain in the @$$.

do you have any supporting mods? ie headers, lid, catback?

you may also, depending on mileage, need new valve springs. I put LS6 springs in with my rockers.

any questions feel free to ask.
    Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

They cost as much as a cam, but deliever less than half the benefits....tons of people have 1.9 rockers, and none of them are nearly as fast on the track or dyno as much as a cam-only car

Comment

Originally posted by Smoke Panther View Post
        They cost as much as a cam, but deliever less than half the benefits....tons of people have 1.9 rockers, and none of them are nearly as fast on the track or dyno as much as a cam-only car
        how is that possible? A cam you need your valvetrain totally upgraded as well as gaskets and other stuff. Cam installs I hear run 500-1000 depending on prices paid for the supporting items needed for a cam install.

These rockers are 235, add a bit for valve cover gaskets I would imagine and you are good to go.

Also with a cam you need tuning if I understand correctly to benefit from the potential of the cam. There is more $$$

Comment

Originally posted by bottlefedv6 View Post
          A cam you need your valvetrain totally upgraded
          Don't know where you heard that from. Only thing that needs to be "totally upgraded" is the springs, and
          Originally posted by flamingchicken View Post
          you may also, depending on mileage, need new valve springs. I put LS6 springs in with my rockers.
          ...looks like you'll be doing that anyway

as well as gaskets and other stuff.
          that'll wear out with time anyway, moreso if you're modding your car's internals

Also with a cam you need tuning if I understand correctly to benefit from the potential of the cam. There is more $$$
          No, you don't understand correctly. For a long time, the cam-only record holding V6 car was untuned...running 13.6's without a tune. Not all cams are cut equally, as there are cams that don't require tuning, but still give more benefits than 1.9 rockers

I don't know who told you otherwise, but going fast isn't cheap. Not to mention, once you get them in, you're pretty much stuck with them with regards to doing any real internal mods. Ask Meatyshells about how 1.9 rocker arms compare to a cam

Comment

On rockers and springs i only spent like $350...plus very little work

http://forum.camarov6.com/showthread.php?t=46236
            Last edited by flamingchicken; 02-01-2009, 05:42 PM.
            Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

plus very little work
              with corresponding little gains
              if you would have read that link, you'd know that a cam does the work of aftermarket rockers, and thensome.

Comment

For close to 1000 dollars.
                Team NoVa

Comment

For close to 1000 dollars.
                  yea ok
                  Originally posted by me View Post
                  I don't know who told you otherwise, but going fast isn't cheap. Not to mention, once you get them in, you're pretty much stuck with them with regards to doing any real internal mods. Ask Meatyshells about how 1.9 rocker arms compare to a cam
                  In other words, if you do blow cash on rocker arms, and want a cam later on, you'll have to get rid of the 1.9s at a loss...so while you think you're saving money, if you want real performance gains, you're only wasting cash.

Comment

come on, we drive v-6 cars, they arent gonna go that fast. hell from what i have seen cars with cams dont really make a ton more power unless they match heads with it...then your talkin $2000.

i spent around $350 on my rockers, everywhere i see says 20 hp.
                    I spent $500 on headers and full exhaust, that gave what 6 hp?
                    seems to be cost effective to me.
                    Team NoVa

Comment

i was pretty satisfied with my rockers i just installed. i spent just shy of $300 for everything. That was with used rockers, new ls6 springs from ebay, and retainers and valve locks from zzp. Just reuse the valve cover gaskets they will be fine. Also before any engine mods make sure you have all of your supporting mods complete (ie. headers, high-flow cat, intake)

Comment

come on, we drive v-6 cars, they arent gonna go that fast. hell from what i have seen cars with cams dont really make a ton more power unless they match heads with it...then your talkin $2000.
                        you need to look around a bit more. I know of a cam-only car that puts out 248 rwhp. That's over a 70 rwhp gain over stock. If your main concern is really is about being efficient with money, the numbers support a cam over rocker arms
                        i spent around $350 on my rockers, everywhere i see says 20 hp.
                        RWHP or flywheel? Not that it matters, since I've already shown that a cam can, and does, give more than three times the benefit at the wheels.
                        I spent $500 on headers and full exhaust, that gave what 6 hp?
                        Which you'll need anyway, to get to your 20 hp advertised gain
                        seems to be cost effective to me.
                        Not if you actually do the math

Comment

you need to look around a bit more. I know of a cam-only car that puts out 248 rwhp.
                          cam and bolt ons only?

RWHP or flywheel?
                          flywheel, about 12-15 at the wheels

rockers are totally easier and less time consuming and cheaper than a cam, and give good benefits for the price.
                          Team NoVa

Comment

cam and bolt ons only?
                            http://www.fquick.com/garages/Pontia...bird/1999/250/
                            ^I don't see anything else on that mod list
                            flywheel, about 12-15 at the wheels
                            oh, so a cam offers even more gains compared to rocker arms, than what I previously stated.
                            rockers are totally easier and less time consuming and cheaper than a cam, and give good benefits for the price.
                            So what point are you trying to make? Before, you were all touting how they're better in a dollar-for-dollar sense...but, by exposing the miniscule gains and your ignorance of V6 cam-only applications, you've pretty much proven the opposite

Comment

you need to look around a bit more. I know of a cam-only car that puts out 248 rwhp. That's over a 70 rwhp gain over stock.

Quit boasting lol...

Originally Posted by flamingchicken
                              there is stock v6 camaros running 13's....

There are cam only cars running low 13's high 12's in some rare cases...

It all depends on how you set the car up...A lot of people take short cuts when doing this stuff...they throw money at there car and dont fully think things through...they just expect it to be fast...

For those people that set there car up properly...not only cause you do things for cheap, but you will have a fast car...

I was thinking about doing 1.9 rockers awhile ago...I found it to be not worth it for the amount of work to the valvetrain you need to do just for the rockers and the gain given...for like 3 extra hours of labour and a little more money you can get a cam that yields much better results...I just bought all my cam parts...everything that I need for under $1000...some people have gotten parts for even cheaper....

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
                              1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X