How long to change lifters ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long to change lifters ?

How long will it take to change out lifters ?

Thanks
    Bob

Re: How long to change lifters ?

that totally depends on your experience with working on engines

i would say 5-6 hours?

Comment

Do my own work on my s10 and silverado , just never inside the 3.8 .

Are there any bolts that are hard to reach in the rear ?

Comment

The first thing that comes to mind is the bracket on the back of the passenger side valve cover. One of the bolts on the water neck threads into the lower intake manifold, and there is 2 hidden bolts on the inside corners of the lower intake manifold you will see when you get the UIM off. You will also need new rocker arm bolts; they are TTY. The LIM bolts require blue loctite, and break easily. Thats all I can think of for now.

Comment

Thanks !!

I'v got all the parts , got the comp. reusable bolts , from ZZP

This is on my wife's Daily .

Got to do this soon .

Comment

Are you certain it is a lifter issue? Lifters don't usually die on an unmodded L36.
            <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.fullthrottlev6.com</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.chitownracing.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.chitownracing.com</a>

Comment

Sounds like the famous Lifter tick , sounds like its coming from under the intake manifold , Thats what I plan on changing when I tear into it , and go from there .

Anything can go wrong modded or not .

Comment

Originally posted by BDBLK2K3 View Post
                Sounds like the famous Lifter tick , sounds like its coming from under the intake manifold , Thats what I plan on changing when I tear into it , and go from there .

Anything can go wrong modded or not .
                first of all, did you change the oil?

does the tick go away after the engine has warmed up?

i had a nasty lifter tick before (my lifter was completely collapsed) but something got jammed in there, and it went away

is the idle affected from this tick? how loud is it?

edit* the reason i ask is because you might not have to change the lifters at all.. i was getting ready to, then my ticking all of a sudden stopped and hasnt returned since last september and ~5000 miles

Comment

Yea , it been making niose for a while tried everything short of changing them .
                  Seafoam , oil changes ......

It's time to change them and hopefully that will do the trick .

Idle is fine , but I had a misfire code on the Autotap last weekend when I checked it .

Comment

i went all the way to the block the other day, and i had it tore completely apart less pulling the heads in about 3 1/2 hours. the hardest thing to do, and someone mentioned it, is to get the bracket on the back of the motor off to get the valve covers off.

Here is how i did it: you can remove the uim and lim without taking the valve covers off, that gives you a little more clearance to get to that cramped bolt. I also have a set of gear wrenches, totally made it easy. anyways got the uim and lim off and put the wrench on the bolt, and beat it with a hammer. came right off.
                    Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

Gear wrenches are a must! I'm just saying, that a lifter tick can sound an awful lot like an exhaust leak. Worth shining a flashlight around the manifolds to look for any carbon buildup before tearing the engine apart.
                      <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.fullthrottlev6.com</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.chitownracing.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.chitownracing.com</a>

Comment

Oh, and watch out for that plastic coolant elbow coming out of the LIM in the front. If the LIM has never been off the car, then it will probably tear.

Comment

when i did mine, the car had 140k miles, both elbows broke, so i replaced em. even if they dont break, its totally worth going to the help isle and buying new ones.
                          Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

What size is the bolts that I'll need gear wrenches for ?

Thanks for the elbo tip , I'll replace them .

Not an exhaust leak , I'v checked with a stethescope to see where sound is coming from.

Comment

the bolt on the back of the head is like 13mm, thats the main gearwrench bolt. but you can maybe just do it with a standard, gearwrenches are kinda price-ee.... the ones on top of the UIM are 8mm, and the ones in the LIM are in it so you will need a 10mm 6 point socket., Oh thats a good tip, use 6 point sockets on everything.
                              Team NoVa

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X