i too just finished installing rockers - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

i too just finished installing rockers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i too just finished installing rockers

I just finished installing my rockers, but i also put new heads on and everything. heres my problem, it starts up and runs, and drives, but it idles irradically, and when i drive it misses real bad. if i put in in second at like 40 and give it partial throttle it runs smooth, but under a load it misses, ill try to get some video or audio or something. ask as many questions as you need to, i am really bad at giving enough info...

2000 3.8 auto firebird.
    Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Re: i too just finished installing rockers

i would start by scanning for codes and hopefully get a specific cylinder misfire. if not just check your plugs and wires. also make sure the connection to the ICM-ignition control module (this is what your coil packs sit on) is snug.

Comment

ok, so i would love to get it scanned, but i dont have one, and i cant get it to work (or i dont wanna drive it to work) to get it scanned. kinda sounds like i have a rocker tap, that would cause a misfire, right?
      Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

i wouldnt think a valve skipping would cause a misfire
        I know on a bike misfire means lack of air, fuel, or spark... valve opening would cause erratic rpms. but as far as misfire, I would do what screamin 99 said. check the obvious. air, fuel, and spark. I know when I did my intake mani (upper/ lower) I didnt get a good connection on my fuel injector, then when I did I didnt get the injector in right, causing a misfire.

as far as codes, I would take it as soon as possible to autozone or where ever to get that checked. it would narrow it down a little better..

I know i didnt answer your question, but it helps.

Archer
        MISC: 01 parts. Some interior, T top kit, seats etc.
        http://forum.camarov6.com/showthread.php?t=95347

Comment

Thanks. I work for a dealership, so getting it checked wouldnt be a problem, just getting it there without blowing my motor up! lol.

When i say misfire, i mean it studders and stumbles under a load. free rev it sounds okay, but idle, it sounds rough, like a knock. i was test driving it and it missed so bad that the ses light was actually flashing...i cant read the codes without a scanner.
          Team NoVa

Comment

Make sure you got your plug wires on the right cylinders; kinda sounds like my car when I first installed my cam. I mixed up a few wires and the car would idle and sound great, but if you gave it gas, it would stumble and eventually stall.
            ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
            A few things

Only Member of Team Hooker?!?

Comment

i have check that, rechecked it, and then disconnected everything and did it all over again. i even took out my coils to make sure they were connected to the pedestal right... how does everyone change plugs with headers on the car?
              Team NoVa

Comment

im not really sure what you mean when you say it sounds like a rocker tap?

if you are hearing a tapping noise them im willing to bet that you got a bad rocker, or one of your oil passages are clogged, meaning your valve wont be opening up far enough because your lifter is not pumped up.

that will cause a rough idle, and a loss of power feel, but it shouldnt be causing a misfire

how old are your wires? you might have bad ones, i know after i did the intake on my friends rustang it got a horrible misfire because of me taking the wires off, it cracked on the inside. it only did it when the engine was under a heavy load

Comment

did you make sure you got all the pushrods under the rockers?
                  did you torque the rocker bolts to spec?

Abbott long tubes,homemade true duals,slp ram air,whisper lid,eibach springs,kyb shocks,BMR subframe connectors, BMR LCA reloc brackets,BMR LCAs. T-top/manual converted

Comment

i used intense rocker bolts, and torqued them to 25 ft lbs. tonight i actually pulled both valve covers and checked all of the rockers. i bought some ether and ima make sure i dont have an intake leak later.

BTW i found the tap, it was my coil holder thing gently tapping the valve cover...i hope.
                    Team NoVa

Comment

i took the radiator cap off and it was bubbling, does that mean i have a bad head gasket?
                      Team NoVa

Comment

i found the miss. My buddy came over with his genesis and we watched cyl number 6 miss 118 times in about 6 seconds. the ceramic on one of my plugs was broke, thanks for all the help!
                        Team NoVa

Comment

its always the spark. lol
                          Glad to hear ya got it taken care of.
                          MISC: 01 parts. Some interior, T top kit, seats etc.
                          http://forum.camarov6.com/showthread.php?t=95347

Comment

so now that the miss is taken care of how do you like the rockers?

Comment

i nailed it at about 10 mph, it broke loose!! totally impressed. now if i could only get the overheating problem taken care of. Ima put a new radiator in it this week.
                              Team NoVa

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X