cam damage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cam damage

Ok to make a long story shot, i had a motor swapped into my car. The motor that was in it had a gt2 cam in it, and i told the mechanic to swap it over. He calls me and tells me that he swapped the new motor in and didnt put the cam in because "it was messed up". I picked the cam up, and honestly think its fine. What do you guys think? You can see a couple small scuffs, and it looks like some circular marks (these marks do not even catc a fingernail and it feels smooth to rub over it.) Either way, heres some pics let me know what you think.

Re: cam damage

You could probably have a machine shop polish it and then mic it to see if it needs oversized cam bearings.

Comment

Trashed You might be able to get it polished out if it hasn't been to hot

Comment

called a local shop and gonna run it by there after work. ill let ya know what they say.

Comment

wow, thats horrible, change your oil much?

Comment

Ya, see if they can polish it out; if so, I'd reuse it. If not, trash.....I've seen people make lamps out of them :)
            ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
            A few things

Only Member of Team Hooker?!?

Comment

3k or less, with mobile 1 syn.......cam was only in the car for 6-7k. oil changed after 500 miles...then at 3k and again at 6k

Comment

dont new cams have to have a breakin, like upon start up immediately bring the motor up to like 3000 rpms...
                Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

Originally posted by flamingchicken View Post
                  dont new cams have to have a breakin, like upon start up immediately bring the motor up to like 3000 rpms...
                  not roller cams, only flat tappet

and its between 1500-2000rpm for 15min

edit* and thats just for the lobes so they can wear properly.. those pics indicate something happened to the cam journals
                  Last edited by cam98aro; 01-08-2009, 03:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cam98aro View Post
                    not roller cams, only flat tappet

and its between 1500-2000rpm for 15min

edit* and thats just for the lobes so they can wear properly.. those pics indicate something happened to the cam journals
                    cool, thanks.

nother q, do our cars have roller or flat tappet?
                    Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

roller...........

took it to the speed/machine shop. The guy said its not that bad at all (maybe the pics make it look worse then it is). he is going to polish it up and said it should be perfectly fine to use.

Comment

hey man, where is scottsboro?
                        Team NoVa

Comment

Originally posted by flamingchicken View Post
                          cool, thanks.

nother q, do our cars have roller or flat tappet?
                          our cars use hydraulic roller cams

just for some info, there is basically 4 types of cams.. 2 groups, flat tappet, and roller, and each type can be either hydraulic (which is basically a spring in the lifter that pumps up at higher rpm, letting the car have lower lift/duration at lower rpms) and solid (which the lifter is basically a hunk of metal with oil holes drilled through it.. you will get the same lift/duration at all rpms, unless the cam is designed to launch the lifter off of the lobes)

Originally posted by lilchubby View Post
                          roller...........

took it to the speed/machine shop. The guy said its not that bad at all (maybe the pics make it look worse then it is). he is going to polish it up and said it should be perfectly fine to use.
                          thats good to hear, the pictures made it look pretty bad

Comment

[QUOTE=cam98aro;899543

just for some info, there is basically 4 types of cams.. 2 groups, flat tappet, and roller, and each type can be either hydraulic (which is basically a spring in the lifter that pumps up at higher rpm, letting the car have lower lift/duration at lower rpms) and solid (which the lifter is basically a hunk of metal with oil holes drilled through it.. you will get the same lift/duration at all rpms, unless the cam is designed to launch the lifter off of the lobes)
                            [/QUOTE]

Also the hydraulic lifters allow lash. ie- with solid lifters there is a need to set valve lash for expanding metal as the motor heats up.
                            Team NoVa

Comment

its in the northeast..........up near huntsville if you know where that is.

lmao after looking at a map, its about as far as i could possibly be from you and still live in alabama

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X