removing main caps 3800

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• removing main caps 3800

As some of you know our main caps on the 3800 are pressed in. I am having trouble getting them back out. My Haynes manual recommends using an adapter plate that bolts to the cap allowing a slide hammer to hook up to it that is available at most parts stores. All of the parts stores I have been to dont have it. Does anyone know where to get one of these specialty tools? Or should I thread the cap bolt holes so I can bolt my own plate to it?

Re: removing main caps 3800

i would also like to know this....pulling the motor on mine for a rebuild also...
    99 Z28 M6...91 Z28 A4...84 Z28 A4

Comment

Got them off last night. I dropped a couple of big bolts into the main cap bolt holes, and c-clamped them together real tight so they wedged themselves in there. I then hooked a slide hammer to the c-clamp and they came out pretty easily.

Comment

Originally posted by techsan23 View Post
        Got them off last night. I dropped a couple of big bolts into the main cap bolt holes, and c-clamped them together real tight so they wedged themselves in there. I then hooked a slide hammer to the c-clamp and they came out pretty easily.
        Imma check an see if I can get it here cuz I got everything out...got one of the main caps off with a little hammer/screwdriver work but the others there really isnt any way to get them out that I can see???

Anyone know who has this special adapter plate?

Comment

Lol after I made that post I went outside and got hem off in less than 15 minutes with a 2x4, a rag, a screwdriver, and a mallet.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
            New Owner!
            by LETZRIDE
            I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
            3 days ago
          • ssms5411
            Little work today
            by ssms5411
            Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
            2 weeks ago
          • LETZRIDE
            Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
            by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
            Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
            By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
            Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
            02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X