is it possible??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is it possible??

it is possible to rebore a 3.4 to 3.8 ? and if yes,what other things i should get besides new pistons??

Re: is it possible??

no, you cannot bore that block out, it is basically at its maximum safest bore already

and for an overbore, you only really need new pistons, rings, and a bigger head gasket (although most of the time they are already oversized)

Comment

Just curious, isn't the 3.4 based off the 2.8 block? So we've got 2.8, 3.1 and 3.4 all from the same block?
      2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Bell View Post
        Just curious, isn't the 3.4 based off the 2.8 block? So we've got 2.8, 3.1 and 3.4 all from the same block?

From what ive read yea thats what they did. Just kept borin it out and the last time made it the 3.4l
        1994 3.4L DSG Camaro
        Comp Cam 260h w/ 1.6 rockers, J&M STB, UMI 3pt SFC's, Spohn RCA's + Adj. PHR, KYB AGX Shocks, PS Headers, Cutout, Posi Rear w/3.42's, Aluminum DS, Wings West Body Kit, SS Hood/Spoiler, 17" TT2's 9.5/11" 275/315's, 5% tint
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Bell View Post
          correct

the 3.8L is an entirely different block

it is probably possible to stroke it to 3.8l, but it would require a ton of block work, there is NO WAY the cylinders could be bored ~.20 over... SBC blocks have a hard time with .060 over, in order for an overbore, that 3.4 block would need to be bored over 3 times that, not to be mentioned would also need a (probably) custom crank

doing so would greatly affect the integerty of the block.. not to mention the cylinder walls would overlap

Comment

so purchase a 3.8 block, you can get them a dime a dozen..

Archer
            MISC: 01 parts. Some interior, T top kit, seats etc.
            http://forum.camarov6.com/showthread.php?t=95347

Comment

All you can do is hone it - that's about it.
              Leonard
              www.fquick.com/96V6Junkie
              sigpic

Comment

he coiuld try overboring & sleeve it, but it might be cheaper to get the goodwrench aluminum block (if it's even still made).

While I haven't perused the forced fed forums, take a look at what they've done for more power, and even look at what Tiago's set up was (the infamous forced fab iirc)
                1978 Formula 461 in progress of being built :rock:
                2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

former owner of 85 bird w/ 2.8 - 3.4 - 3800 II - 5.0
                94 comero 3.4

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
                  New Owner!
                  by LETZRIDE
                  I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                  4 days ago
                • ssms5411
                  Little work today
                  by ssms5411
                  Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
                  2 weeks ago
                • LETZRIDE
                  Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                  by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                  Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                  By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                  Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                  02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X