stroker cams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stroker cams

lately ive been thinking about cam compatability with a 4.2L stroker. does a custom grind cam need to be used with a stroked 3800? or would..say a ZZP XPZ cam work well with a stroker

1999 Firebird Y87/W68

Re: stroker cams

needs to be custom ground as a part of it has to be reduced to work with the COME stroker. A XPZ would not work unless you had the extra work done to it
    http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

yeah thats what i thought. thats a drag...oh well though, custom grind if done right will be better than a mass produced cam.

1999 Firebird Y87/W68

Comment

exactly.

by stroking the motor you're decreasing valve clearance by however much you're adding to the stroke, assuming a flat top piston.

two options= custom cam or pistons with valve recesses
        Y87 Package
        MANUAL CONVERTED, Pro 5.0 Shifter
        Pacesetters, Magnaflow Cat, Cutout, Flowmaster

MOGOB APPROVED!
        BONE APPROVED!
        VANBIBBER APPROVED!
        KRISTEN APPROVED!

Vice Prez.
        Team Black...TEAM EMO
        sigpic
        Come on kids! Get a Calendar!

Comment

Originally posted by Firebirdkid96 View Post
          exactly.

by stroking the motor you're decreasing valve clearance by however much you're adding to the stroke, assuming a flat top piston.

two options= custom cam or pistons with valve recesses
          What actually takes place when you add stroke to the engine is that the pin height is moved up in the piston. The piston still comes to the top of the bore the same as it does with a stock stroke crank. The camshaft is special because of cam to rod clearance. The camshafts are generally ground with a .040 smaller based circle... Hopes this helps.

Comment

i don't know what i was thinking when i said that...lol
            Y87 Package
            MANUAL CONVERTED, Pro 5.0 Shifter
            Pacesetters, Magnaflow Cat, Cutout, Flowmaster

MOGOB APPROVED!
            BONE APPROVED!
            VANBIBBER APPROVED!
            KRISTEN APPROVED!

Vice Prez.
            Team Black...TEAM EMO
            sigpic
            Come on kids! Get a Calendar!

Comment

Swan racing recommends a .030 to .040" smaller base circle. The XPZ cam will have plenty of clearance w/ a .070" smaller base circle (fwiw, even my GT2 was .034" smaller). ZZP doesn't list the specs on the XPZ cam. I'm sure it would work w/ a stroker kit but probably wouldn't be the best. You'd want to run a bigger cam to take advantage of that extra displacement.

Comment

does Come Racing make a cam designed for use with a 4.2 stroker (or anyone for that matter)? that'd make life easier. I just threw out XPZ because its ZZP's largest FI cam.

1999 Firebird Y87/W68

Comment

yeah, they have their own cam grinds

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
                    New Owner!
                    by LETZRIDE
                    I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                    3 days ago
                  • ssms5411
                    Little work today
                    by ssms5411
                    Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
                    2 weeks ago
                  • LETZRIDE
                    Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                    by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                    Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                    By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                    Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                    02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X