3.4 Port and Polish.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3.4 Port and Polish.

Okay so I went down into the Ghett-O today to my favorite junkyard. I took the Plenum and Throttlebody off of a 3.4 Camaro. My plan is to have these extrude honed and then ported and polished. I guess what I'm wondering is if anyone has ever done this before? What kind of power should expect to get from a stock 3.4 manifold that has been thouroughly hollowed out and polished?

It seems like whenever someone brings up anything about a 3.4 it always ends up in a retarded chat about the mystical "top end swap" which sounds easy...until you find out that you have to change the pistons, which requires removal of the engine. So please don't tell me to find an intake from a 3x00 engine because it's not going to happen unless i can do it without changing the pistons or running premium gas. What we really need is for someone to start selling custom intake plenums for 3.4L Camaro's. Whoever did it would make an absolute killing.

Re: 3.4 Port and Polish.

i'd buy one.

Comment

I have a P&P throttle body, but no numbers. Bought it from someone on the board so yes it has been done. Nothing on the 3.4 is really worth it unless you pull the motor or go forced induction.

Comment

i also have a p&p throttle body, but it would be nothing compared to a fully ported UIM and LIM

Comment

a p&p job can only go so far. 20hp max? probably not even.

the design of the uim and lim is very poor. its a perfect example of a bandaid solution.

if you were to redesign the uim/lim to a more freeflowing design, it would be ideal. but then you have to remember how poorly the heads flow. youd want to p&p them, and get headers to make it worth while.

this is why everyone reccomends swapping with the 3400 parts. but im just as annoyed as you are. everyone talks about it, but theres no good write up, no good single source of information, and every time you ask a question you get the search nazis.

i have most of the parts, so when i finally do do it, ill make a writeup. but that wont be for a while.
          <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2265676\" target=\"_blank\">95 bright red camaro 3.4l</a>

Comment

I'm thinking the extrude hone will provide me with a pretty big boost. For anyone that doesn't know. Extrude honing is where they force an abrasive liquid through the intake/headers/anything which smooths out any areas of resistance. Since the 3.4 intake is chock full of bottle necks the honing should smooth them out and/or eliminate them....i hope.

btw is there anyway that we can modify a fwd 3x00 intake so that we dont have to change the heads?

Comment

no, the heads have to change no matter what, but there is a way you don't have to change out the pistons..... but i forget the setup.

either way, unless your gonna get megasquirt i wouldn't go too far on the port jobs, otherwise it would be a waste of power.

Comment

idk, it seems like you couldn't go to far with porting a 3.4 UIM. It's so restrictive its not even funny. Oh, man if there is a way to not change the pistons and use the 3x000 parts that would be money.

Comment

i'm telling you there is a way!

u would have to change only the heads.

i belive u have to use a 3100 uim and lim and use the heads as well and u can keep the pistons the same, do a search i know there is a way.

Comment

if you use 3500 heads youll have a low enough cr to use 89 or 91. its like 11.somethin : 1.

i think with the 3500 heads youll still need a 3400 lim/uim because the 3500 one wont fit and also uses an electronic tb.
                    <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2265676\" target=\"_blank\">95 bright red camaro 3.4l</a>

Comment

Don't waste your time or money extrude honing or P/P the intake the gains will be very small.The biggest bottle neck is the tiny throttle body I believe it only measures 52 mm.I've modified two stock intakes so far.One has a LT1 58mm twin throttle body on it.My old one (which expoilted) had a LS1 throttle body on it.The twin throttle body intake has been built by a couple of guys and seems to be the easier way to go.I'm at work right now or I would post some pics for you.

Comment

Well actually I've been doing alot of thinking AND i think it wouldn't be cost effective, or even wise to spend money doing anything to my 3.4. Even with the entire top end swap (which would require a monumental amount of effort) it would only be a little faster than a stock 3.8.

Here are some numbers:
                        Rear End Swap = $600
                        Top End Swap = $1000
                        P & P everything = $300
                        CatBack= $400
                        Headers= $300

That's two and a half grand and i wouldnt even be over 220hp...my dad's Ford Taurus has 220hp :(
                        I could buy a $7-8,000 car if i saved that money and sold mine. That's enough for a pretty nice z/28 with t-tops and a six speed or a mustang GT.

Comment

yeah, but its' fun to modd cars, it;s not just about the end result, it's about how u got there.

i could have spent all the $ that i've used to mod my car to buy a z28 or whatever, but it was fun doing all the work.

Comment

Ya, i totally get what you're saying. But from a logical and economical point of view modding a V6 is not a great idea. The resale value drops because people don't like buying cars that have been modded for racing. And those who are looking to buy a V6 camaro/firebird are usually look for something that will be a reliable daily driver. I'd much rather get a V8 camarobird and start from there. That way when I'm done I will have something that can outrun ferrari's and honda civics.

Comment

yeah ... if i had to do it again, i would have just bought an 8.

but i'm still having fun with this car, in fact i'm gonna be juicing by the end of july hopefully.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X