For those with a GT2 cam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: For those with a GT2 cam

i would just install it straight up, then later you can add/subtract timing via tuning. Adding timing via degreeing your cam is a good way to make your engine detonate/knock. Unless your cam was built for it and to my knowlege the gt cam is not

Abbott long tubes,homemade true duals,slp ram air,whisper lid,eibach springs,kyb shocks,BMR subframe connectors, BMR LCA reloc brackets,BMR LCAs. T-top/manual converted

Comment

cam timing and ignition timing are two different things

Comment

not entirely

Abbott long tubes,homemade true duals,slp ram air,whisper lid,eibach springs,kyb shocks,BMR subframe connectors, BMR LCA reloc brackets,BMR LCAs. T-top/manual converted

Comment

yeah, it's all part of the combustion process. and if you open the intake valve earlier you need to adjust the timing to compensate. you can't tune your valves to open sooner. ;)

Comment

I have to say cam timing and ignition timing are two different things. Cam timing is determing when the valves open and close. Ignition timing is controlling when you start to fire the fuel mixture. Adjusting your timing to compsenate for a cam that wasn't installed correctly isn't the best way to fix the issue. If you just install an aftermarket cam, how do you know where its at? The main purpose of degreeing a cam is to make sure its installed correctly according to the cam card unless your intentionally trying to dial in more cam timing. So if you cam has 4 degrees advance dialed into it, you should make sure when you degree it that the numbers match you cam card. Many times with aftermarket parts, when you degree your cam you find out that its not installed where it should be acording to the cam card even though you installed it straight up. So you either advance or retard you timing gear with the key ways or bushings to get it as close to you cam card as you can. Even though you set your timing gear keyway 4 degrees advanced doesn't mean you cam is always 4 degrees advanced.
            69 Camaro 350 4spd, Full Hotchkis susp, Baer brakes, moser 12 bolt, Flowmaster<br /><br />96 RS Hotchkis STB, subframe connectors, Hotchkis LCA and adj Panhard rod, SS camaro sway bars, Bilstein shocks, powerslot rotors, Borla exhaust, rksport headers, k@nFIPK

Comment

Originally posted by Den69RS96 View Post
              Only way to know is to degree you cam. For example you could have an after market crank say from eagle and install you cam straight up. When you degree the cam, you may find its only a few degrees advanced or even more then 4 degrees.
              Agreed, I just degreed my cam and it was 2.5° off :eek:

Comment

Good thing you checked it, was that pos. or neg. ?
                08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

positive/advanced

Comment

It was good that you checked it then, no need to see My engine blew up thread. I think Meaty needs to do his if he has not done so yet.
                    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
                      New Owner!
                      by LETZRIDE
                      I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                      3 days ago
                    • ssms5411
                      Little work today
                      by ssms5411
                      Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
                      2 weeks ago
                    • LETZRIDE
                      Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                      by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                      Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                      By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                      Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                      02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X