Cam question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cam question

:stp: I am putting a zzp GT2 cam in my car this spring. I am going to put new valve springs and seals at the same time. Also new injectors (36#), Timing set, headers, exhaust, and obviously new gaskets. Then, I am going to get it tuned. I was wondering 2 things. First, do you think I can do this stuff with out pulling the engine? Second, would anyone in the Grand Rapids area of Michigan be able to tune it for me?

Re: Cam question

Originally posted by v6James View Post
    First, do you think I can do this stuff with out pulling the engine?
    yes
    Second, would anyone in the Grand Rapids area of Michigan be able to tune it for me?
    check the regional forums

Comment

movin' to advanced tech

current car- 95 Trans am- bolt ons, parked and collecting dust. why? because **** it

Follow me!
      http://www.twitch.tv/optimusprymrib
      Or this

Comment

Did the GT2 in my car around beginning of the year. Engine stayed in the car. Plenty of room to pull the cam with it in. One of the benefits of having a V6 :). You probably won't need injectors. And, you should be fine on a stock tune, but a real tune will wake it up :) Injectors you could do, but you won't be able to drive it until it's tuned.
        ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
        A few things

Only Member of Team Hooker?!?

Comment

Are you from Grand Rapids? You could also get the tune from zzp or get one of their pcm's for your car instead of paying for a dyno tune.
          http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

I have a similar question.. what about swapping heads?

It seems like it would be a pain in the *** to do it in that little area.

Comment

Originally posted by xmetallicaxguitaristx View Post
              I have a similar question.. what about swapping heads?

It seems like it would be a pain in the *** to do it in that little area.
              yes you can do it with the engine in the car

Comment

Well, I know you "can", but how much of a pain in the *** is it?

Oh by the way I bought the same cam you have, how is it?

Comment

Originally posted by xmetallicaxguitaristx View Post
                  Well, I know you "can", but how much of a pain in the *** is it?
                  it won't be any easier with the engine out of the car

Comment

Heads idk about. I left mine alone when i did the cam. Now I'm about to pull the engine because of a piston :(. While it's out I'll get to the heads for a bit of work. As for the cam, I felt a nice increase in performance. But, I was running mine with all stock internals and stock tune. Once you get it tuned, I've heard it really wakes the car up :D
                    ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
                    A few things

Comment

Well I am upgrading obviously springs (retainers/locks/seals), but also pushrods/valves, and possibly lifters.. idk.

Also HPTuners.

Comment

Should run nicely then if everything's done properly.
                        ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
                        A few things

Comment

Yeah looks like I am deffinatly going to leave the engine in. I am from the Grand Rapids area. I was just wondering if anyone on here could do it because a friend of mine said I would probably be able to find someone that could do it. If not I will just go to zzp and have them do it. Any ideas on how much it will cost?

p.s. I know I dont neccisarily need to do injectors but figured I might aswell sence everything else was going to be apart anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by v6James View Post
                            Yeah looks like I am deffinatly going to leave the engine in. I am from the Grand Rapids area. I was just wondering if anyone on here could do it because a friend of mine said I would probably be able to find someone that could do it. If not I will just go to zzp and have them do it. Any ideas on how much it will cost?

p.s. I know I dont neccisarily need to do injectors but figured I might aswell sence everything else was going to be apart anyway.
                            that is awesome. I am literally 10 minutes away from zzp actually. lol. You need to get on www.mifbody.com as well man. It is all michigan fbody people. We have gatherings and such like our may 31st meet and greet. It is gonna be awesome.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
                              New Owner!
                              by LETZRIDE
                              I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                              4 days ago
                            • ssms5411
                              Little work today
                              by ssms5411
                              Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
                              2 weeks ago
                            • LETZRIDE
                              Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                              by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                              Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                              By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                              Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                              02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X