Installing heads soon....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing heads soon....

Hey guys I will be installing my AR stage 3 heads and ported intakes soon. Could you guys tell me what all I will need besides gaskets and oil that I will need for the install and what you guys reccommend. Im thinking of going with all ARP bolts for the heads and rockers. I hope to be getting a set of 1.7 or 1.8 rockers for the install. Going to bigger rockers such as 1.7 or 1.8 would I have to get differnt pushrods than the Comp hardened pushrods that I have now that was put in with my cam install? They are stock size rods that have now I believe. Just lay out a list for me to make sure I got down what I know I need and what Im forgetting. Also should I look into getting a double roller set for the install for would a single be ok? Thanx guys.
    Last edited by Firehawk N Wv; 09-18-2007, 03:29 PM.
    01\'Y87 Firebird:Gt1 cam,Vig.3000 stall
    AR stage 3 heads/intakes to be installed
    www.cardomain.com/id/firehawknwv
    www.vaperz.com
    PEWTER MAFIA/ Kristen's "PEWTER MAFIA KING"

Re: Installing heads soon....

You can't go wrong with ARP bolts, just make sure their TQ to specs, I would check with some of the others about how much clearance you will have if you run the 1.8 rockers with your cam. If your springs are 130# springs, which they probably are since the heads are a stage 3, I would do the double roller chain. If it was me I would do whatever needs to be done the first time around, so I wouldn't have to worry about something going wrong or breaking which it looks like your doing by posting , so good luck. Sorry I couldn't be more helping. I'm sure someone with more knowledge will post in with some info. Steve
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

I would go with the arp head studs and reusable rocker bolts. I've been told that getting 1.7 or 1.8 rockers will not help any/waste of money.
      Definatly get the double chain. Might want to look into the clearance issues with the double chain as well. (getting a milled oil pump plate or double front cover gaskets).
      Your going to need coolent. A new upper and lower intake gaskets and front cover gasket.
      Since you have changed your cam already it should be too bad changing the heads. I took me a while to change mine. Any more question just ask away.
      Check out my cardomain site!<br /><a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/99pewterv6\" target=\"_blank\">My Car</a>

Comment

So then there isnt really a gain with changing the rocker ratios on these heads? What about getting some Comp lifters? Would that be beneficiary to my build?
        www.vaperz.com

Comment

go with Comp OE lifters, no need for the OE-R ones. But yea do them while you are in there.

I would skip the rockers
          http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

Yea, I think I will get the OE lifters cuz Ive heard they are beter than the R's. Im also getting some ARP headstuds form a guy in the for sale section dirt cheap that are brand new.
            www.vaperz.com

Comment

Yeah I went with the comp OE lifters.
              Check out my cardomain site!<br /><a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/99pewterv6\" target=\"_blank\">My Car</a>

Comment

If Im missing anything else here for the install then somone please chime in. I just want to make sure I get everything the first time around. After all I will be doing this install on a weekend and it will be hard to get things then, lol.
                www.vaperz.com

Comment

you got all the gaskets? Are you changing the cam? Got new injectors?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
                    New Owner!
                    by LETZRIDE
                    I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                    4 days ago
                  • ssms5411
                    Little work today
                    by ssms5411
                    Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
                    2 weeks ago
                  • LETZRIDE
                    Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                    by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                    Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                    By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                    Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                    02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X