P&p

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P&p

Have any of you ported your own heads? My dad is going to be doing the heads on the LT1, and he said if I could find a spare set I could try out porting them on my 97 Camaro. Any suggestions/recommendations besides let a Pro do it? One of my friends is a race shop owner. I'm going to ask him about it and possibly have him "supervise" that way I'll know I do it right and still be able to say that I did it myself. Do you think I should also get the upper and lower intake manifolds and give them ago? How much should I be able to port, on both the intakes and the heads?
    ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
    A few things

Only Member of Team Hooker?!?

Re: P&p

never a good idea to home port heads. easy way to screw up flow and cause valves to seal incorrectly.

know thats not what you're looking for, but its the truth.

Comment

Originally posted by UDLOSE98
      never a good idea to home port heads. easy way to screw up flow and cause valves to seal incorrectly.

know thats not what you're looking for, but its the truth.
      I know. I've done my reading and research and mainly just wanted to see if anyone on here had done their own. Main reason why the car's even possibly going on the lift is because of a slight coolant leak I have at the rear main. Figured, if I have to tear it apart to replace that, why not do some upgrading while I'm at it? I'll check with my buddy to see if he has any suggestions on porting them, or even doing them for me. In the meantime, anyone here done their own P&P to the heads, UIM, LIM, or even the TB? I know TB isn't a good idea, but just figured I'd ask.
      ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
      A few things

Only Member of Team Hooker?!?

Comment

Yeah I have ported my heads and intakes. I assume you looking to do it on the 3.8L.

The best thing to do for the top UIM is to gasket match it to the LIM since there is not much metal to play with. On the UIM you mainly can smooth out the port sides and take some casting excess where the port is extruded into the upper plentum.

The LIM can be matched to the UIM, then the sides of the port can be expanded since the sides come in a little. The LIM port can be matched to the cylinder heads to keep the flow uniform.

Are you going to port the cylinder heads as well? That is where if you have never done porting you should be supervised.

I have heard that porting the throttle body is not worth it since the flow capability is there and you will not run into problems unless you are running a pretty sick set up to max out the TB.

My car domain site has some pictures of me porting the upper and lower intakes. Forgot to take more pics of porting the cylinder heads and adding the ls1 valves. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/804031/1
        3\" Eldebrock catback exhaust<br />rksport powerdyne<br />pacesetter headers<br />VS cam,compcams pushrods,ls1 valves,5 angle valve job,p&p,<br />and total seal piston rings<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/804031\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/804031</a>

Comment

Re: P&amp;p

i belive caspernicus done his own head porting. you may try talkin to him.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
            New Owner!
            by LETZRIDE
            I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
            4 days ago
          • ssms5411
            Little work today
            by ssms5411
            Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
            2 weeks ago
          • LETZRIDE
            Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
            by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
            Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
            By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
            Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
            02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X