Need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help

ON Friday I stoped to pick up my mail, I got out and I heard a clanking noise coming from the front of the engine. So I pulled into my garage. I first thought it was just a pulley so I took my belt off and spun all of them. They all seem fine, so I started the car without the belt on and the clanking noise is still there at the crank pulley. It only makes the sound at idle, when I give it gas it goes away. Also when I look at the crank spinning it looks like it is shaking( something like that). What do you guys think? Thanks for any help in advance. Steve
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Re: Need help

Rubber inside the crank pulley is rotted...
    I have seen this on the L67 before. Remove the crank pulley and check it out.
    1997 Chevrolet Camaro v6 - 13.8@104MPH
    1997 Dodge Viper GTS

Comment

There is dry rot on the front of the pulley, but my dad said that is normal unless chunks are coming off. It does have 160,000 miles on it so I hope that is the problem. AZ3.8CAMARO do you think it would be save to drive 50 miles to my dads shop without having major problems, I would check myself but I'm limited with some physical conditions. Thanks for your response. Steve
      08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
      96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

I am pretty sure it would. I believe it has a metal "catch" that keeps it from just freewheeling once the rubber lets go, which is where you hear the noise.

I won't guarantee that, but I am pretty sure.
        1997 Dodge Viper GTS

Comment

Thanks for your help. Steve

Comment

AZ3.8CAMARO FTW, Thanks good call, pulled up to my Dads work at 6:30am , he listened to it, said might be the balancer will find out when we pull the crank pulley. Went to go park it and a Aussie mechanic that works for my dad, came over and said that is the balancer I'm sure of it. About an hour and a half later I'm driving my car again. Dry rott sucks @ss. Next week I'm hoping they'll have time to do my 3.73's and T/A cover. The rear is making some bad noises, They're going to rebuild the Diff. and do bearings etc.

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411
              AZ3.8CAMARO FTW, Thanks good call, pulled up to my Dads work at 6:30am , he listened to it, said might be the balancer will find out when we pull the crank pulley. Went to go park it and a Aussie mechanic that works for my dad, came over and said that is the balancer I'm sure of it. About an hour and a half later I'm driving my car again. Dry rott sucks @ss. Next week I'm hoping they'll have time to do my 3.73's and T/A cover. The rear is making some bad noises, They're going to rebuild the Diff. and do bearings etc.
              No problem. That is what I do!
              1997 Dodge Viper GTS

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
                New Owner!
                by LETZRIDE
                I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                4 days ago
              • ssms5411
                Little work today
                by ssms5411
                Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
                2 weeks ago
              • LETZRIDE
                Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X