Engine Problem Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Problem Question

Ok I am looking at a 1993 trans Am...This is what the guy said about the engine...
    "It has a 5.7LT1 engine in it that is smoking and is down on power. I'm pretty sure the engine needs to be rebuilt and have a complete overhaul, or just replace it. When I bought it, it ran extremely rough, smoked, and was low on compression on the number one cylinder. So I pulled the head, dropped the oil pan, and replaced the number one piston, put a new head gasket on, new oil pan gasket, ect. I also put a new opti-spark on and a brand new radiator. It runs better now, but still smokes when accellerating, and lacks power. Doesn't smoke much at idle though."

What do you all think? Needs a new engine? If so what exactly would I need for theengine...would I need new manifold, etc.? I may sound stupid but I am used to Jeep CJ7s that are a little easier to work with...My boyfriend would have to do everything so...
    Robin
    Last edited by robinpugs06; 08-09-2007, 06:23 PM.

Re: Engine Problem Question

valve seals on startup, bad piston rings due to high mileage

Comment

Is this fixable or does it need a new engine?
      Robin

Comment

Originally posted by robinpugs06
        Robin
        Dear Robin:

If your girlfriend said she wanted to hook you up with a guy who did 5 years in prison and had herpes he was treated unsucessfully for....would you want to meet him? This old car is the same with the guy with problems. My God, can you afford a gas guzzuler. A tank of gas will cost you $50 and take you about 200 miles if you are lucky. So if you only drive 1000 miles a month this car will cost you $250 just in gasoline. This car was designed for an era where gas was under $1 per gallon. Those days are long gone. I would not walk but run from this gas hog that needs major surgery!I would not take it if it were offered for $25.
        Phil

Comment

Originally posted by PalmHarborBlkv6
          Dear Robin:

I would not take it if it were offered for $25.
          I would cuz then I'd turn around and sell it to robin for more! lol
          1998 Red T-top V6 Camaro
          - K&N Filter, Pacesetter Headders, MagnaFlow 2.5" Hi-Flo Cat, FlowMaster 80 Series, PowerDyne Supercharger@9Psi More 2 Come

Comment

The engine needs to be rebuilt or you need a new engine. For rebuilding, you don't need new manifolds or anything. You will need stuff like gaskets, rings, etc. Is your boyfriend capable of tearing down a motor?

I would not walk but run from this gas hog that needs major surgery!I would not take it if it were offered for $25.
            I'm not sure what gas mileage has to do with her question. If the body were in great shape, I'd take it for $25 in a heartbeat.
            Last edited by SpeedingFirebird; 08-10-2007, 11:10 AM.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/799659

Comment

Originally posted by robinpugs06
              Robin
              it is fixeable.

you just need to take the entire engine apart

Comment

My God are you living in a place where you are unable to find
                a good car that does not need major surgery? What it will cost
                you to run that gas hog could have been spent on a better car.
                What if you have major engine work and the car still is not running
                right? Think you will get your money back?
                My first car was a FIAT 124 Sport that after 20,000 miles, burned oil.
                I brought it to a foreign car garage and this mechanic with a thick
                eastern european accent assured me he would put new rings etc on it
                and it would be as good as new. Well after paying him a fortune,
                the car was worse and I sued him in Small Claims court. The judge
                said his son had a FIAT and had nothing but problems too and refused
                to award me any money.
                Why throw good money after bad. Some cars just need to go to the junk
                yard.
                Phil

Comment

What does gas guzzling have to do with anything? I am not interested in your opinions about how much gas this car will use - I am clearly aware of that! I owned a 2000 Camaro SS and loved the power and miss it!
                  I was trying to find out about the engine....
                  I was asking the question to find out what people - who have more experience with these cars - thought was wrong with it and if it was a minor or major repair issue. Obviously if it was major I wouldn't buy it - that was all I wanted to know so that I could be better informed and not make a bad decision.
                  And no, I wouldn't expect to get my money back if a new engine didn't solve the problems - I am not THAT stupid!
                  Robin

Comment

Look, don't worry about a thing...ignore what I said....go out and buy it,
                    I am sure it will all work out for you just keep your checking account filled
                    with money. Hell the car is only sixteen years old! Its a mere teenager.
                    Phil

Comment

Gotta Love V8 Gas Guzzlers!!! Hey I Know I Am Not The Only One That Loves Them!!!
                      Last edited by robinpugs06; 08-10-2007, 07:11 PM.

Comment

I am NOT buying the car and not because of any info you gave me - you did not give me any info on the engine which was what I was asking for. You just gave me info on gas mileage which I did not ask for.
                        So thank you Cam98aro and the other people who sent me personal emails responding to my question "What do you all think? Needs a new engine?" and letting me know what they thought was wrong with it and that it would most likely need a new engine - and what that would require. You helped to increase my knowledge so that I could make a well informed decision and not make a mistake in buying a car that would need to much work - that's what I was asking for. I appreciate your help!
                        And you know what - some of us like V8s even if they are gas guzzlers!!! I have a 1985 Jeep CJ7 that I did a complete frame up restoration that is almost done which will be my winter vehicle...I would like a fast, fun car for the nice days!
                        Robin

Comment

My God are you living in a place where you are unable to find
                          a good car that does not need major surgery? What it will cost
                          you to run that gas hog could have been spent on a better car.
                          What if you have major engine work and the car still is not running
                          right? Think you will get your money back?
                          My first car was a FIAT 124 Sport that after 20,000 miles, burned oil.
                          I brought it to a foreign car garage and this mechanic with a thick
                          eastern european accent assured me he would put new rings etc on it
                          and it would be as good as new. Well after paying him a fortune,
                          the car was worse and I sued him in Small Claims court. The judge
                          said his son had a FIAT and had nothing but problems too and refused
                          to award me any money.
                          Why throw good money after bad. Some cars just need to go to the junk
                          yard.
                          what is your problem

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
                            New Owner!
                            by LETZRIDE
                            I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                            4 days ago
                          • ssms5411
                            Little work today
                            by ssms5411
                            Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
                            2 weeks ago
                          • LETZRIDE
                            Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                            by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                            Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                            By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                            Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                            02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X