A quick Cam Q?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A quick Cam Q?

I was wondering why the GM 3800 V6 Xtreme Energy 255 HR12 Cam is more expensive than the INTENSE™ Normally Aspirated 3800 Camshafts, when the INTENSE Cam is a SS cam and the Xtreme From comp cam is only a mild cam?
    1998 Red T-top V6 Camaro
    - K&N Filter, Pacesetter Headders, MagnaFlow 2.5" Hi-Flo Cat, FlowMaster 80 Series, PowerDyne Supercharger@9Psi More 2 Come

Re: A quick Cam Q?

just because the cam is more mild doesnt mean it should be cheaper.

its prolly either a new cam, or one that hasnt been made much.

Comment

So Its not due to quality? I can get the intense for sheaper and get a greater HP gain for less, without having shoddy quality?
      1998 Red T-top V6 Camaro
      - K&N Filter, Pacesetter Headders, MagnaFlow 2.5" Hi-Flo Cat, FlowMaster 80 Series, PowerDyne Supercharger@9Psi More 2 Come

Comment

Originally posted by RyanAndyBob
        So Its not due to quality? I can get the intense for sheaper and get a greater HP gain for less, without having shoddy quality?
        quality, no, they should be the same.

im sure all of their different cams are of the same quality.

It is most likely cheaper because of the fact it is more popular and produced a lot more than the other cam

think about it, if you went and asked them to do a custom grind, its gonna be A LOT more expensive than one they have made thousands of.

Comment

Yea bur being Comp Cams i'd figure theyd have quite a few in stock. Okay so I got another one for you. I Know ill need a douuble rooler timing chain, springs, rollers, etc.... but what about it "throwing my codes" Does anyone know if this cam throws codes or if i will "have" to get it tuned?
          1998 Red T-top V6 Camaro

Comment

The HR12 cam is a pretty mild cam and can probably be run with stock heads etc.

As with any cam a tune would beneficial to get the most horsepower, however it probably will not be needed with the HR12 cam. I can't say 100% but looking at the specs it probably won't throw the p0300 multiple random misfire code.

Honestly if you're looking to upgrade the cam and still want it somewhat mild I would look at the, abbott racing heads cams, smaller Intense N/A Cams or the ZZP GT cams.

Abbott Racing charges the exact same price for ANY cam you order including custom grinds. Comp Cams grinds all the cams from the same cores.

Ken Abbott helped me with my custom grind for my stroker kit and it didn't cost any more than ordering a commonly produced grind.

Comment

Thats pretty cool man. So the Intense stage 1 cam wont do any harm? im not lookin to run 13' or ne thing i just really like the sound and a little more pep in my step.
              Last edited by RyanAndyBob; 07-25-2007, 01:30 PM.
              1998 Red T-top V6 Camaro

Comment

l36 182/192° 115° = -43° overlap

zzp gt1 210/210° 113° = -16° overlap won't set code

stattama s2 turbo 212/212° 113° = -14° overlap won't set code

intense s1x 212/216° 113° = -12° overlap will set intermittent code

zzp gt2 216/216° 111° = -6° overlap will set code

overlap = (intake duration + exhaust duration)/2 -2*LSA.

pick a cam with at least -14° overlap...or greater with heads/headers/etc. reduce exhaust duration with headers.

Comment

So The Gt1 Is My Only Option W/o A Tune?
                  1998 Red T-top V6 Camaro

Comment

I have a ZZP GT1 cam and i still needed to get the car tuned. Idle was fairly lopey in my 02 camaro. And it also sets the p0300 code.
                    Daily: '02 Black Yukon Denali
                    Toy: '06 Torrid Red GTO
                    Gone: Powerdyned '02 Pewter Camaro
                    Gone: '07 Charcoal Yamaha R6
                    Gone: Ex-wife, lol

Comment

You really should get a tune, even if you go with a little cam like the GT1.
                      1998 M5 3.8 Mystic Teal Camaro<br />Flowmaster exhaust, Pacesetter headers, 3\" cat, 3\" S-pipe, whisper lid, ram air, Spec Stage 1 clutch, Poly Trans mount, Walbro 255LPH. Numerous appearance mods.<br /><br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2130533\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2130533</a>

Comment

well hell if i gotta get a tune i might as well get a more powerfull cam like the intense right?
                        1998 Red T-top V6 Camaro

Comment

heck...go big just for doing all that work to install it!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X