Stroker Build Progress Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stroker Build Progress Thread

I was selected by Swan Racing as the C.O.M.E. Racing stroker sponsored vehicle. I wanted to start an ongoing thread with details of where we stand from build to completion.

My History:
    I started in the 3800II community with a 1996 3.8 base camaro prior to registering here in late 2001.
    My camaro was a full bolt on, tuned, and sprayed car.
    Since then I have owned a 1995 3.8 Firebird (currently Project Apocalypse), a 1994 3.4 (formerly tealv6s car now belongs to Nate/3.4 slow to go), a 1997 GTP with a few mods, which brings us to the current project vehicle.

1997 White GTP Coupe
    I will post part specs when I have a chance to sit down......

Currently I purchased a used L36 short block and had it shipped to the builder.
    They expect the stroker build to be complete by next Friday (just the shortblock). I have purchased a Thrasher Engineered Performance Race Transmission and an intense input shaft that should be to my mechanic by next week.

I expect to have the engine in the car and running by the end of July.

I have also began weight reduction on the car to prep it for the track including pulling the majority of everything from the front seats backwards. I will be pulling the Air Bags, A/C, front and rear bumper supports, but will retain the dash, console, etc.

I will immediately get the car to Intense for a Dyno tune after it is running. From there expect some track numbers to follow.

They are taking pictures of the build process and I will post them as the process continues.

Prior to the build the car ran a best of 13.3@103

I own a helmet, but expect to be kicked out of a few tracks after the build ;)

I still have a few minor parts to purchase, but at this point I HAVE everything needed to get it running, just a few parts I would like to obtain and upgrade first such as electric water pump.

After it is built and I make sure everything is reliable I plan on upgrading to a GenV blower/LIM, Intercooler, and installing a small dry shot of nitrous for extra cooling.

I will update this thread as new developments arise as well as begin a listing of my complete build parts and costs for what I have!

Re: Stroker Build Progress Thread

Its gonna be sweet when its all done! Thanks for keeping us updated.
    Check out my cardomain site!<br /><a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/99pewterv6\" target=\"_blank\">My Car</a>

Comment

wait, so this motor is going in the gtp?

Comment

Originally posted by UDLOSE98
        wait, so this motor is going in the gtp?
        That's correct it is going in the GTP right now because it's eaiser to push the engines limits with available resources. I do however have "future" plans of putting if not just the bottom end the entire engine in a RWD F-Body.

Comment

thanks for the updates, can't wait to see what it can do. I am currently looking for a GTP to make my DD and winter car so I can start my own stroker build.

Keep the updates coming!
          http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

Here is the build off the top of my head. I will edit as I recall more.

Build Sheet

Current Mods:
            Custom Intake (will be redoing it),
            TOG Coated Headers
            Straight pipe
            Milzy Motorsports Custom Exhaust
            Walbro 255 fuel pump
            ZZP high flow fuel filter
            42.5# injectors
            Intense Modular Pulley System
            3.2” pulley
            Fuel Pump rewire
            Hi-speed fan switch
            Intense custom tune PCM
            ZZP In car control unit
            99+ coolant bottle
            Autolite 104 plugs
            New radiator ( ditched the dexcool)
            New idler pulley
            Custom Valve cover breather

car ran a 13.3@103 with pretty close to the current setup listed above.

Mods being installed/assembled:

4.2L forged stroker kit 8.2:1 compression

“4.2 Liter High Performance Stroker Kit (1995-2004) including our nodular iron stroker crank, custom lightweight “H” beam 4340 steel forged connecting rods and custom Wiseco forged aluminum racing pistons in either 10:1 or 8.2:1 low compression versions for boost applications. Ideal for street or strip use with high compression normally aspirated or high boost blower/turbo applications. This kit is supplied with moly rings, rod and main bearings and comes fully balanced to GM Specs for use with GM L36 and equal aftermarket balancer and flywheels.”

THR Custom big valve heads
            Intake/Exhaust flow numbers
            67 54
            134 112
            185 154
            214 183
            231 196
            238 202
            241 206

105# comp springs, Comp steel retainers, revised valves, lifters, pushrods, rollmaster single timing chain, cometic MLS Head gaskets, arp head studs, arp main studs.

Abbott Racing custom grind comp cam
            210/220 .512/.512 115LSA
            .040” smaller base circles on the cam for clearance issues.

All associated pieces to build the engine (cleveite bearings, aluminum gaskets, etc.)

Thrasher Engineered Race Transmission
            3.29 single chain gears
            Stage 3 shift kit
            Intense Forged input shaft
            CYA Racing LSD
            CYA Racing Stall Converter

Things I'm working on and waiting to install:

weight reduction – I will be keeping the car streetable, but taking a minimalist approach!

Complete – windshield fluid bottle and pump, everything in the trunk, rear seats, rear speakers, rear carpet (will be re-carpeting most of it), passenger door speaker, all electronic window/lock components in passenger door.

Pending – A/C, lighter racing seat, rear seat belts, Air Bags, front/rear bumper supports, passenger seats, looking into a VFN Fiberglass hood, Race battery, glovebox.

3" cutout, Nitto Drag Radials ,A/C delete waiting to be installed

Once I get the block assembled and installed I will be getting a custom dyno tune @ Intense Racing

Right now I still am looking at picking up some of the following stuff:
            Autolite 103 plugs
            Meziere electric water pump
            Jacobs Plug Wires
            MSD Coils?
            new supercharger oil
            3.0" pulley
            new belt
            Intake tubing to redo my intake

for the future build:
            GenV blower/LIM (porter/polished)
            new fuel rails or injector spacers for the intercooler kit
            SS Intercooler kit
            Dry Nitrous setup
            HPTuners
            Wideband
            draglites/skinnys w/ drag radials and tires

Comment

"Your shortblock was disassembled last week, cleaned and ready for the boring bar.
              We also had a torque plate custom made by BHJ and it showed up last week.
              We will bore the block and plate hone it the first of the week. We will also deck the block .002 to .003 for "trueness". Fortunately this block is in extremely nice condition"
              Attached Files

Comment

"Stopped over @ the shop to check on progress toady around lunch time. They decked the block and had it in the boring bar."
                Attached Files

Comment

"Here are a couple pictures of it making it to the power honing machine after boring"
                  Attached Files

Comment

"I stopped over at the shop before lunch and they were trail fitting your crank in the block. I snapped a couple pictures. I talked with Doug later this afternoon and the block was completely clearanced, washed again, and ready for the rings to be file fit and final assembly."
                    Attached Files

Comment

That is our progress to date. I am waiting on a GM specific part to complete the bottom end/cam portion of the build. As soon as I get that bushing to them it will be assembled and ready to be picked up.

I will be picking up my flexplate and quite a few other misc. Items from intense when I pick the block up as well then it will be off to be installed in the car!

I had hoped to have the engine in and running by months end, but we may be cutting that date close with the misc little issues I've had with getting additional parts I need (arp main studs put us back a few days etc.).

Numbers and video coming VERY soon!

Comment

keep us updated. im really excited to see what this project puts down. good luck and have fun with it.
                        1998 bright red camaro ,M5 ,Y87 ,stock<br /><br />Originally posted by Rune:<br />If it smells like a turd and looks like a turd, chances are its probably not a candy bar.

Comment

Awesome. I can't wait to see what you do with this.
                          2001 Arctic White Firebird With Black Drop Top<br /><br />3:42 Gears<br />Zexel LSD<br />BMR upper A-Arms<br />Trans Am exhaust with 3\" I-pipe and cutout<br />Modified intake<br />Mecham Hood<br />Trans Go shift kit<br />Making rear control arms and panhard

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X