Help with a 3.4 DOHC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with a 3.4 DOHC

Probably not the greatest place to post, but I figure I would give it a try.

I had a problem today with a loud ticking noise with some shaking. If it were a pushrod engine, I would say it was a lifter tick, or something similar, but with this engine, I can't be completely sure. The lifters are a little different than the regular hydraulic lifters seen in a 3.8l engine, Im not completely sure if they are hydraulic or solid lifters. Heres the problem...

I get in the car after school, drive it an hour to my apartment in 80 degree heat, and I have no problems with the car. Im at home for 15 minutes, leave again, and when I go out to start the car, it starts shuddering and shaking a little, not violently, but noticable, as well as a VERY noticable tick. I check the oil, its 1 quart low, fortunately, I keep another quart in the car just in case. So I dump the oil in, but its still shaking, still ticking. Funny thing is, it only shakes when it is sitting or idling around, but the tick gets faster as the engine revs. I let the car sit for about 3 hours, start it up, and its right where it left off, still shaking, still ticking loud. Remember, the car doesnt shake at high speeds, but the tick is fast and somewhat loud.

Conventional theory would tell me that it was a lifter, but again, this engine is a little more complicated than a regular pushrod engine. I simply don't know what kind of lifters these things are, or if it is even a lifter problem at all. But what I can tell you, is that I have NO SES light on at all, no oil pressure light on, now low oil light. Nothing but from what I can hear and feel in the car.

Personally, this is somewhat frightening, because I don't have the money to throw parts at it, or even diagnose it properly. All I can do is flush the engine, change the oil, and see what happens. If ANYONE has any idea what it could be, let me know. I will try to find out what kind of lifters these things are, not really sure.

Thanks
    Wes
    1995 Pontiac Firebird
    2008 Chevrolet Silverado LT Crew Cab 4x4

Re: Help with a 3.4 DOHC

My friends 94 GTP did something similar to that. It was missfiring. SELL THAT CAR!!!
    1995 Patriot Red T-Topped Z28 A4<br /><br />Mystery rebuild in progress.<br /><br />Soon to have 383 ways to beat KBreezy and Shane. :D

Comment

Not a misfire, no codes are being thrown. Its a mechanical problem. I really think its either the lifters, or the timing belt.
      1995 Pontiac Firebird
      2008 Chevrolet Silverado LT Crew Cab 4x4

Comment

DOHC engines have lifters?

Thought they had tappets...

meh

Camaro V6 - 14.3 @ 96mph
        Camaro SS - cam/boltons/m6/tune
        http://www.crfhq.com

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
          New Owner!
          by LETZRIDE
          I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
          4 days ago
        • ssms5411
          Little work today
          by ssms5411
          Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
          2 weeks ago
        • LETZRIDE
          Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
          by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
          Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
          By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
          Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
          02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
        Working...
        X