head replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• head replacement

i read the tutorial there on this forum regarding the head / cam swap. however im just taking out the heads to fix a spark plug problem and i am wondering if i have to go thru the trouble of taking the water pump off and such. i understand that everything up to and including the exhaust manifolds must come off, but do i really need to touch anything (besides the alternator) on the front part of the motor? also off the top of anyones head, do you guys know how many bolts are holding down the intake manifold? thanks for your help.

james

Re: head replacement

what motor do you have

Comment

sorry dude ur right im mad tired. i have a 3.4 in a 95 5 speed

Comment

are you taking off both heads or just the passenger side if both than the power stearing pump bracket has to com off to and ill take a picture of my 3.4 intake thats off and upload it in just a minute

Comment

im taking off both heads the plug thread believe it or not is lodged in the head on the driver side. she has quite a few miles on her so i figured what the hell, lets just put new heads on while im at it. appreciate the help dude btw.

Comment

here is the upper there are six bolts holding the upper onto the lower the real shinny spots are where the fuel rail bolts to it. the lower need anything else let me now and where are you located

Comment

thanks for the help dude i am in CT. its very cold right now. u are in AZ and i am jealous. haha. well i just need to ask you how hard of a job is it? i am not an expert but i would hate to pay someone to do it, plus i think i could learn something. i have the garage and the tools so why not if i take my time. anyways i appreciate the help and i am sure i will have more questions for you tonight or tmr morning.

Comment

no problem man the heads are not very fun, especially for me my front end is all smashed in from and accident im thinking of just droping the front subframe motor and all and finish pulling them out of the car good luck.

Comment

dude i dunno if ur on but i got a couple questions.

1. i cannot for the life of me get the plenum (upper intake manifold) off. does it really require that much force? do i have to get the entire fuel rail assembly out of there first? i dont wanna pry to hard and break something

2. do i need to remove the A/C compressor to get the passenger side head off?

everything else is pretty good. once i get that damn plenum off it shouldnt be to hard after the exhaust is dropped. once again thanks alot.

james

Comment

theres actually 8 bolts holding the upper plenum on along with the 2 for the fuel rail.... remove all 10 bolts then pry up the fuel injector assembly..... make sure all other attachments are off the upper plenum before attempting this...... after that just give it a nudge and it should come right off.....

And no you do not need to remove the AC compressor to take off the passenget head..... i am almost finished putting mine back together..... and it would of been easier to remove it.... but then you have to recharge it......

Comment

alright dude thanks im goin out right now to give it a try

Comment

well the plenum is definately loose, ready to come out. but i cannot get the fuel rail thing down the middle off. is is just the two bolts? and how do you unplug what im guessing are the injector control wires? the whol unit seems stuck.

Comment

yes it is just 2 bolts but follow the fuel lines around to the drivers side of the plenum where you will find the lines attached to the plenum..... you have to disconnect these brackets for the injector pack to lift out of the lower intake..... and you can leave the wires connected to the individual injectors and just disconnect the main connector which should of been on top of the injector pack.....

Comment

The fuel rail has to come out with the plenum unless you remove all 6 injectors. You need a disconnect tool to pop the 2 fuel lines that feed the rail, then the main electrical connector on top of the rail. There is a bracket on the driver side of the plenum that holds the lines as well as throttle cables. Then give the plenum a few whacks to break the gasket loose. I have swapped FPR and injectors before without removing the rail but it is not fun.

You have to remove at least the lower 2 coil packs to reveal bolts that hold the PS bracket on. Might as well take out the other and ICM to get it out of the way. You can use a PS puller and remove the pump from the bracket or you can unbolt the whole thing without using a puller, there's like 2 or 3 bolts down on the head/block on the driver side.

You pretty much have to unbolt the compressor from the bracket to move it forward an inch or two to get to the front manifold bolts. You can do this without disconnecting the lines.

While you are in there if it has the miles like you say why not put in a new cam, timing set and water pump? Headers would be a good upgrade to do at the same time too.
                            1994 Firebird 3.4<br />15.65 @ 86.8<br /><a href=\"http://www.funkz.net/firebird.htm\" target=\"_blank\">funkz.net/firebird</a><br /><a href=\"http://mywebpages.comcast.net/funkz/timeslips.htm\" target=\"_blank\">Timeslips</a>

Comment

I am with you guys on what needs to be unbolted and taken off. It just feels as if the injectors are connected to that fuel rail and are holding it to the plenum. I have no idea what else could be keeping it from coming up. Almost feels spongy (if you can undstand that) when you pull up on it which makes me believe thats from the rubber grommets between the fuel rail and the injectors them selves. Give it another shot this after noon. It annoys me cause I have everything else off.

As for upgrades Im def gonna put a new water pump and thermostat in cause I know that will go right when i get it back together. I was digesting a mild cam but i dunno if I have the money. As for headers I was looking as pacesetters. I dont know yet but one more question.

Will the aluminum heads from a mid 90s 3.1 FWD drive vehicle be a DIRECT bolt on to this car? From reading that cool sticky on the 3.4 in one of the forums he mentions the option I just wanted to know if there is anything spcial I have to do like torque settings, new bolts, any thing at all or is it direct. dudes thanks alot you have been the best.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
                                New Owner!
                                by LETZRIDE
                                I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                                4 days ago
                              • ssms5411
                                Little work today
                                by ssms5411
                                Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
                                2 weeks ago
                              • LETZRIDE
                                Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                                by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                                Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                                By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                                Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                                02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X